Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schweutsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Hello everybody! I have a very serious problem. I'm giving my master away for printing in about five hours and I still have loads of work to do and on top of it all Pages starts messing with me. :eek::eek::eek:

The problem is that my automatically generated Table of Contents looses its format when I change the left document marginal (intend) to 3cm which I have according to the format rules at the university and I don't have a clue how to fix this. The page numbers which are supposed to be aligned to the right (titel page) are now in the line underneath the title of the chapter and everything just looks terrible.

Please help!

If I've understood this right there should be a pic of the toc (with some other stuff on it) attached to this post now.

I really, really need this to work! like, right now.

Attachments

• tocfel1.jpg
    tocfel1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 96

Schweutsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I think someone could help you much better if you attach the table of contents as a Pages document.

Ok, I can't attach a pages document and I don't have the time to upload the pages toc somewhere else. But I think anyone would experience this problem if they would use the default styles for toc and just change the left intend to 3cm (or more).

Schweutsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
So, now here is a zip with an example of a pages document with the toc problem

Attachments

• example_tocbroken.zip
    128.3 KB · Views: 78

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
I took a look at your page and I can't figure it out, that's a weird error to be sure. You might have to recreate the TOC page manually and insert it manually into your document. I'll keep playing around with it...

Schweutsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I took a look at your page and I can't figure it out, that's a weird error to be sure. You might have to recreate the TOC page manually and insert it manually into your document. I'll keep playing around with it...

Thanks Kufford, I really hope that it'll work with the automatic TOC because I really don't have any time to recreate the table manually since I have about 85 pages of text to correct 'til I have to turn the thesis in, now it's about four and a half hours left. It's like the distance between the chapter title and the page number is fixed.

Btw. perhaps it'd work if I would set a smaller marginal on the TOC-pages, does anyone know how I set different different outer indent for different sections?

Schweutsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Got It!!

Yay, I got it! Now I can almost breathe again.

What I did was that i went to the tab section under the text section in "granskaren" in swedish... the blue blob with the 'i' on it, and then I changed the tab stop which was huge to a smaller one. And it worked!

My heart is singing right now.

Now wish me luck for the master thesis!;)

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Yay, I got it! Now I can almost breathe again.

What I did was that i went to the tab section under the text section in "granskaren" in swedish... the blue blob with the 'i' on it, and then I changed the tab stop which was huge to a smaller one. And it worked!

My heart is singing right now.

Now wish me luck for the master thesis!;)

Best of luck!

marivic45

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Well, maybe the best thing you can do is to write your table of contents again containing the proper format so that you can now print your thesis. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.