Pages 09: Tough on battery life?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bonaldi, Mar 14, 2009.

1. bonaldi macrumors newbie

I've been using Pages 09 to bash out a lot of articles recently, and it seemed to me that my MBA's battery wasn't lasting as long as usual. Sure enough, from a fully charged battery the estimated life drops sharply -- by about an hour! -- after typing just a few paragraphs in Pages, compared to a small drop after typing a similar amount in Word.

Does anyone else see this? I like Pages a lot, especially for its full-screen view, but not if it's going to kill the battery.

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I haven't noticed any significant battery drainage in iWork and I don't think it should do that to anyone else. Maybe there are some other big processes at the same time that eat up RAM while eating battery life at the same time?

3. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Don't really have a problem here... If I am running on battery, I will knock down the brightness and turn the backlights off..

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I have to say no as well. I've been using Pages 09 on my macbook and haven't noticed any significant drop in battery life. It's an old macbook (nearly 3 years) and the battery life is not great, but it tends to use about 1/3 of the battery in an hour with Pages in full screen. I'm doing a lot of typing at the moment between word and pages so I can watch the battery life closely and pass on the results.

Full screen is fantastic, isn't it?!

5. bindigok macrumors regular

I'm using Pages 09 on a PowerBook G4 and it works great, no extra battery drain. The only limit is that it pushes my processor speed to max out so it gets hot and I can't run Photoshop or Aperture while running iWork. But I can run other apps, even Pages and keynote with no problem. Still getting about 3 hours out of my battery.

Has anyone tried iWork.com beta. I've tried it a lot, and I love the idea, but some features are missing to really make it useful.

--bindigok

6. bonaldi thread starter macrumors newbie

This might be it -- if it's pushing the processor speed up that means it's going to draw more power, which use up the battery more quickly. I'll keep an eye on Activity Monitor for a bit. That said, drawing the text as it's typed is hardly supercomputer stuff, so I'm surprised if they're inefficient there.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Try calibrating your battery.