Pages' 09

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by esadb, Apr 1, 2009.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Well, i gave pages a try instead of office and i love it, im definitely switching over to it.

A few issues im having with it i was wondering if it can be changed.

1) The saving issue of the .doc any way to set it to just save the .doc instead of doing a copy of .doc as well as pages? I deal a lot with pc users that use office so i need the .doc instead of pages.

2) Another thing with the saving is that it keeps going to the desktop and that if i save a document once.. and then as im typing and just hit Command+S to just save it, it prompts me again to save it in a location like the desktop.. and then i gotta go find my folder and check that save as .doc and stuff like that.

Any way to adjust these 2 things?

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. Just export it "instead" of saving it. You really, really want to save it, though.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have the same issues with Pages as you do and have found no work around. While Pages 09 is a definite improvement, I still have many issues with how it tends to work.

4. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Its so much more better than office, its stable and doesnt act up when pictures are inserted and what not.

But this whole saving stuff now is kinda pissing me off, since i have duplicates of everything.. which is useless i believe

5. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

It shouldn't be prompting you for a filename on every save. It should do that once and never again unless you save as. Make sure you're not holding the shift key when you save.

Also, as regards sharing with windows users, you can use PDF files (Print dialogue->PDF button), which ensure that your document is seen exactly as you see it and are usually better for printing, but not as easy to edit. Alternatively, the save as dialogue includes an option for saving a copy as a Word document.

PDF files are typically best for document sharing, as copies look the same (that's why it was created). Unfortunately, Windows doesn't support the PDF standard natively, so if you're the receiver, you'll need Acrobat reader to read the PDF. Nearly everyone has it, and every OS except Windows makes reading PDFs the easiest thing in the world.

6. SirContumacious macrumors newbie

SirContumacious

Hey buddy, I think I have found a work around it, but since I just got my new UMBP I need to find that workaround again. It worked fine on my older Mac. I'll look into it and repost on here.

7. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I never thought about it that way. I'm gonna start sharing all my documents as PDF's now. It makes so much sense, and eliminates so many issues people have, especially with printing e-mailed documents.

Thanks for opening my eyes to the obvious.

8. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Well pfs are not thats only if the other end is not going to edit the document, if they have to add stuff and what not whats the point of the pdf..