Pages 5.0 Won't Go Away

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oldgeezer, Dec 1, 2013.

1. oldgeezer macrumors member

The new version of Pages, version 5.0, has lost so many features that I can no longer produce my weekly church newsletter using it, so I have reverted to Pages '09.

To do this I moved the Pages 5 application to a subfolder of my Applications folder and then moved the old version to the applications folder. But software update has a different plan -- it keeps trying to tell me there's a new version of Pages available and asking me if I want to upgrade.

I don't want to upgrade and I don't want to keep getting the update message. How do I keep the App Store from continuing to try to get me to upgrade?

It's driving me nuts. Someone on the church computer didn't know any better and installed the upgrade. Any documents opened with the new version had to be recovered from Time Machine. What a pain.

2. ufkdo macrumors 6502

What you should do is to put iWork'09 applications in a folder in Applications and keep the new versions directly in Applications folder.

3. zamboknee macrumors regular

OldGeezer, did this work?
    I'm having same issue. Got rid of Pages 5 yet I'm still getting the update notifications. ugh.

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

You should have just left Pages 5 alone instead of getting rid of it. The old version of Pages should be in a folder in your Applications. Just use the old version from within the folder, with the new version installed outside the folder, where it belongs. It will eliminate the update notifications.

Just make sure you do not open any pages documents with the new version as you will then not be able to open them up later with the old version. I keep the old Pages on my dock and just drag any Pages document I want opened to the icon. This way I do not open them with the new version by accident.

5. zamboknee macrumors regular

Pages 5 and Pages '09 were in different locations in Applications though.
    I got rid of Pages 5 because it was commandeering my '09 templates even AFTER setting Pages '09 to open all of my templates.
    I finally converted any files created in 5 to '09 and got rid of the program but it's still pestering.

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

This is why I use the drag and drop method for opening any pages documents with the old version. I realize it is a pain, but it is the only method I have found as a work around until Apple puts everything back in the new version they stripped away.

Wish I could give you a better answer. You did not mention it was taking over your templates. That is a new one on me. Unless you are talking about templates you have personally created.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I heard about the "solution" to this in another forum. Open Applications in Finder and Open System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy. Drag Keynote, Pages, and Numbers, the "good" old versions, into the privacy pane. Now you won't be asked to "upgrade". You can delete the bad new versions. The only functionality you lose is that you can't start these apps from Spotlight. I'm an Alfred user, you can't start from that either unless you add a Workflow.