Pages 5.0 won't save in Word format?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by darnocs, Oct 23, 2013.

1. darnocs macrumors regular

I thought the entire point of Pages 5.0 was that it can save in Word format? Yet, when I open a .doc or .docx, and edit it, and then press Cmd + S, it saves as a Pages document –- doesn't even give me the little "Microsoft Word" check box option in the bottom of the Save As dialogue in '09! What am I missing??

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

I think I saw it under File... Export

3. darnocs thread starter macrumors regular

That's what it could do before, so that's nothing new. If that's the "new" feature that Apple bragged about during the Keynote, then they flat out lied. That feature has been there for a while. The only difference is that you can now save as .docx. Woohoo. TextEdit could do that since like Snow Leopard.

Seriously, am I doing something wrong, or is everyone else also still not able to edit and save Word documents just like a normal Pages document?

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

On their site it says "you can save pages files as word files," which makes it seem like you can, but I guess they just mean exporting.

5. darnocs thread starter macrumors regular

I can't believe they played that marketing so disingenuously! Literally advertising an old feature, because exporting is nothing new.

Does anyone know how to downgrade to Pages 4.3? Restoring from Time Machine doesn't work.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

There's plenty disingenuous about Pages 5.0 (like it being an "upgrade") but this isn't one of them.

The OS X user interface guidelines, which all apps are supposed to follow, says that "Save as" saves the document in its native format (.pages in this case) and that there should be an "Export" command to save in alternate formats. Note that when you Export, the document remains open in its native format so any save will be to the original file. This is different than what one sees in non-conforming programs, or on Windows, where if you save to a different format the document format changes to that if it is saved again, instead of saving to the original file.

Also, if you open a document that isn't the native format (such as a Word document) it gets Imported, creating a new document. If you then do a Save it will save a new native format (.pages) file, not perform an export.

Regarding downgrading, the old versions should still be on your system in an iWork 09 subfolder of /Applications. If you deleted them by accident, you can get them back on a Mountain Lion system (download from the App Store so they are the self-contained versions) and then copy them to /Applications on the Mavericks system.

I hope that was clear.

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

But this is how it's always worked, and they are advertising it as a new feature. I certainly felt it was misleading, as it implied you could save as a .doc without having anything to do with a .pages document. This is not true.

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I could find no place claiming this as a NEW feature. They list new features in the App Store. The apple.com website doesn't list anything called NEW but they do claim that it's easy to read and write Word files, which is debatable!

Attached Files:

9. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Fair enough. I guess I just interpreted this differently:

10. Mactabulous macrumors member

Worked for me. I copied it from TimeMachine to my Desktop, removed Pages 5 and placed 4.3 in the applications folder. Simsalabimbamba!

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It doesn't get deleted, it puts the old ones in a folder. . Make sure you don't have two copies now.

12. darnocs thread starter macrumors regular

Old Pages doesn't work after upgrading

After I installed Pages 5, the old Pages app wouldn't even open. It would force quit every time. I had to reinstall the entire old iWork, which I luckily had on a disk still.

13. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

It surprises me how many people were so quick to just delete the old iWork from their computers once the new version was released. I am seeing this with the old version of iLife as well.

Hopefully this has taught some people not to be so quick to delete them. Yes I understand some people have small drives, but the new iWork was quite the downgrade from the previous version. If people had only tried the new iWork for several minutes they would have seen how different it was and chopped down it was.

Makes me wonder [​IMG] why Apple allowed the old versions of iWork & iLife to stay instead of overwriting them as is usually done with supposed upgrades. I will be the first to admit that I use to do the same thing, but since being on MacRumors, I have learned so much.

14. darnocs thread starter macrumors regular

Any fixes with update 5.1?

Does anyone here have the 5.1 update to Pages, and does anyone know if the original bug in the OP has been fixed?

15. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I believe that if you re-read the thread you would see that this isn't a "bug" at all and there is nothing to fix.