Pages and Mathtype

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by upperlacon, Feb 5, 2010.

1. upperlacon macrumors newbie

I want to insert numbered equations into pages that are centered with Mathtype.

In pages there is only an insert Mathtype Equation command, not a full toolbar with different alignment and numbering options as in Word.

There seems to be nowhere within Mathtype itself I can see where I can make the equation centered and numbered. Inside Pages I cant center the equation as the option is greyed out and no visible option for numbering.

I had been trying to use latexit instead to drag and drop equations, and although I can number them with this I'm always let down by formatting the equation to be centered. I thought Mathtype would be simpler to use and format than latex.

Google searches have not been much help, most articles refer to word. If someone could help me I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

2. observer macrumors member

I don't have MathType any more, so I can't see if this actually works, but I want to see a real answer, so I'll post something:

Try separating the "center, number" and "equation" operations. Make a centered and numbered line in Pages, and then paste the equation into it.

Does that work? Latex should allow complete control, of course, with corresponding increase in impenetrability. Just what trouble are you having with it?

3. upperlacon thread starter macrumors newbie

I want something that will automatically update the equation numbers in case I insert a new one. I know I could use a table to sort the formatting with mathtype but I know that with word mathtype has a numbered equation option. Pages does not seem to have this.

Ive got nothing against latex, but my knowledge is incredibly limited. Below is an example of how I would code an equation, and results in a numbered equation but the e=mc^2 bit is justified to the left. I tried \begin{center} \end{center} but this results in errors that I dont understand. I'm using latexit to compile and then drag and drop to pages.

Code:
    \begin{equation} E = mc^{2} \end{equation}