Pages and Numbers Update Notification

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mic j, Apr 23, 2017.

1. mic j macrumors 68030

Every time I open Pages or Numbers I get a notification that there is an update available. But it won't let me update because I am on El Captain and I can't update to Sierra (MBP too old). Is there some way to turn the notification off when I open these apps?

2. kramerdude macrumors member

I've been seeing this and it is so annoying. Interested if anyone has a solution.

3. mic j thread starter macrumors 68030

I think Apple's ploy is to get you so annoyed that you buy a new Mac just so you can update the OS and get rid of the messages.;)

4. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

God I hate this. Count me in. Hopefully someone can come with a workaround.

5. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

I think there are two possible workarounds, I'm not sure if these work since I only use 09 versions and I don't have the newer iWork installed (this nagging was one of the reasons I uninstalled the newer versions).

1. Hide Pages/ Numbers in the App Store software update by right clicking (Control click with one button mouse) them and selecting "Hide update".
    2. Install software such as Little Snitch and block Pages/Numbers connections.

6. kramerdude macrumors member

That's the strange/frustrating part about it. There is no update as-is. The update only exists if you update the OS. So, if you never move to the latest OS X, then you'll apparently be annoyed from now on. They need to stop the harassment.

7. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

1. The point is that there are no available updates.

2. Wouldn't that block access to iCloud? It'd render iWork apps useless.

8. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

Depends on how Apple has implemented the processes, in 2009 version the update is separate process and it can be blocked in Little Snitch without blocking iCloud but I haven't tested the latest iWork version...

9. macpeach55 macrumors 6502

macpeach55

Sorry iRock1, I mention this only with the best possible intentions
    Where it says in your signature
    "nobody is going to give you a price for having a lot of Apple products"
    I could be wrong, but I believe you meant "prize"
    (And I see that has been your signature for quite a while, so in truth you are correct when you say "nobody cares")

10. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Not sure about the effects on iCloud (as I don't use it) but I can vouch for using Little Snitch to block connections does remove the ridiculous popup. This includes updates that aren't listed in the store due to them not being compatible with that software version, as I'm using 10.9 and have seen the same thing for years. I got so sick of it that it actually drove me to go looking at firewall apps.

Just ftr, the iWork apps are still plenty useful without iCloud.