Pages: can't go below .4" margins

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macdot, Jan 9, 2008.

1. macdot macrumors 6502

So I have a blank 8.5x17 layout I'm working on. The paper is defined through page setup with margins of .12 all around (bottom .55). However, when I change the document margins in the Pages' inspector the visual margin line will no go smaller than .4 on top or bottom. It will go to 0 on right and left.

Anything I'm missing?

A text box really isn't an option, I need to have the actual document margins work like they're supposed to.

Thanks in advance!

2. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Do you have headers & footers turned on? Also, even though you've set the margins at .12, what is the minimum your printer allows?

3. macdot thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, headers and footers are off. The printer is set up for Generic Printer or whatever it's called-- I haven't set up the document for any specific printer. The hardware could handle printing .1 margins.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

5. macdot thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, 8.5 tall and 17 wide.

6. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Ok i just tried this in Pages
    and when I created the custom paper size I chose "user defined" margins and it will let me take them down to 0 on all sides
    so I do not have a problem .

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Are you saying that when you reduce margin size in the inspector the viewable area seen when using Show Layout does not change? If so, that is because some printers can not print from edge to edge. You can set margins to zero in the inspector. What you actually get depends on the printer that is selected.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think this is the answer.

9. macdot thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried changing the paper margins in page setup, but to no avail. However, I think I can avoid the problem for the time being by doing a blank Page Layout as opposed to blank Word Processing. I'll still work on the WP file and let you guys know if I find anything.

Thanks for the help.

10. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

The generic "any printer" has very conservative margins, about an inch all around. You need to set the document for a particular printer, even if you want to move the document to another computer & printer.