Pages CPU hog

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MultiFinder17, Aug 29, 2008.

1. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Let me start off by saying that I *love* Pages. I really do. Runs beautifully on my main laptop, a MacBook. However, it is a different story on my main desktop, a G4/500DP.

Typing is rather laggy and choppy; it doesn't fall behind, but it looks choppy as I type like no other app does. Also, while typing, it nails the CPUs to around 80-90%. It's really annoying, as I love Pages so much, but it's so horrid and laggy on my G4. Any ideas why, or how to make it not so? Many thanks all around :)

Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet): Dual 500MHz PowerPC 7400 CPUs, 896 megs of RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.4

[​IMG]

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not really surprising as you are running Leopard on a machine that is technically below minimum specs and is also the minimum that iWork requires as well so your pushing it a bit with that setup. On the other hand it shouldn't be using that much CPU power.

To be honest I just think your old G4 is getting on a bit really, why don't you try a word processor which is less intensive? Or better yet use a text editor instead such as Text Wrangler or BBEdit.