Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA
I got pages knowing it would open .doc files and now when I try to download a .doc file it says "the document blah blah couldn't be opened" I feel like the solution must be rather simple. Anyone have any ideas on why it won't open?

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
Make sure you have the latest updates installed. For iWork '08 that is Pages 3.0.3 & Numbers 1.0.3. For iWork '09 it's Pages 4.0.2 & Numbers 2.0.2. I don't use Keynote, but it should also be updated. If you're not running the latest versions & Software Update says your software is up to date, make sure the applications are where the installer initially put them. The updaters are very picky. If the location is not where the updater is programmed to look or if the folder doesn't have the name the updater looks for, it will not work. The applications cannot be renamed or moved. They must be in the iWork '08 or iWork '09 folder in Applications. That iWork folder must be named iWork '08 or iWork '09. If it doesn't have the '08 or '09 Software Update won't find them & the updaters won't work.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA
Make sure you have the latest updates installed. For iWork '08 that is Pages 3.0.3 & Numbers 1.0.3. For iWork '09 it's Pages 4.0.2 & Numbers 2.0.2. I don't use Keynote, but it should also be updated. If you're not running the latest versions & Software Update says your software is up to date, make sure the applications are where the installer initially put them. The updaters are very picky. If the location is not where the updater is programmed to look or if the folder doesn't have the name the updater looks for, it will not work. The applications cannot be renamed or moved. They must be in the iWork '08 or iWork '09 folder in Applications. That iWork folder must be named iWork '08 or iWork '09. If it doesn't have the '08 or '09 Software Update won't find them & the updaters won't work.

I knew it was something super simple. I ran the updater a few times. I had no idea they had to be in the iWork '09 folder. Thanks a lot. Now I can read my syllabuses haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.