Pages Exporting .docx with Inflated File Sizes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cassini007, Feb 10, 2015.

1. cassini007 macrumors member

I recently created a simple, two-page text document (no clip art, annotations, etc.) in Pages. When I exported the file to .docx, it came out close to 500KB in size. When I copy and pasted the same file into Word, and saved to .docx natively, the file size was only 79KB.

So the result is that I get the same .docx document, but the one exported by Pages takes up over 6 times more disk space. :eek:

If anyone knows a way around this issue with the export function in Pages, it would be great. Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What happens when you open that inflated file in word and re-save it?

Given that the file size isn't that huge,i.e., we're not talking about gigabytes, I'd not be terribly concerned. I'm sure its just how Apple is exporting out to MS' file format.

3. cassini007 thread starter macrumors member

maflynn, thanks for your reply and sorry for the delayed response. Yes, the file continues to be larger than it should be, even after re-saving in Word. But this may eventually become a non-issue now that a new version of Office for the Mac has been put into beta.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say work with Word if you have the opportunity. I think Pages is a poor replacement for Word especially when you need to work/save in Word formats.