.pages File Format Converter

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dws90, Feb 28, 2008.

1. dws90 macrumors regular

I like Pages, and would use it instead of Word as my primary word processor except for one thing - it's inability to save natively in any format other than .pages. The .doc export works fine when I know I need to send a file to someone else or be able to edit it on another computer. Sometimes, though, accidents happen - I may find myself without my computer and in need of the file, or my computer may break, and I may not have access to another computer with Pages. In both cases, I could access the file using my only backup, but I would have no way of actually reading it unless I managed to find another Mac with Pages. If all I had available were Windows and Linux computers, I'd be screwed.

My question, then - are any apps other than iWork Pages able to read (or, at least, convert) .pages files? There are a number of web services that can convert a large number of formats, but .pages is not one of them for any of the services I've seen.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Isn't it just an XML File? I got to imagine it might be pretty easy to convert to say, ODF or something similar.

4. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I think an even cooler solution would be if Apple decided to release a Windows port of iWork to rival MS Office on its home turf. They've done it with Safari and iTunes, and with iWork I think many, many people will like the idea of getting a full office suite for much, much cheaper than MS Office. If they improve Numbers with the next round, iWork could really be a contender in the PC world. Then you'd have no problem opening .pages on a PC ;)

Ok, I know that doesn't answer your question. Just a thought. :D