Pages footer language

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by casperes1996, May 23, 2015.

1. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Been wondering for a while, but never bothered to find out, because it wasn't important at the time. Well, now it is, and I can find no information anywhere.
    I often have to write documents in different languages, and it's great that Pages automatically change the language to fit whichever language I write in, but the automatically generated footers (page x of y) are always in English, and there seems to be no way for me to change this. Anyone here who knows if it's possible without changing system language to change footer language?

2. MLinneer, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015

MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

On my system (Pages 5.5.3), I don't see or can't find anything about language. I only use English so maybe that's it. All I can find is that the 'Page x of x" footer text is automatically generated so I would assume Pages uses the default system language. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Word processors will have to get a lot smarter than they are now to get what the OP is asking for. In the OP's example, "Pages x of y," x and y are variables but "Pages" and "of" are fixed text. Microsoft Word is a much bigger more sophisticated than Pages is or is supposed to be. However, it has trouble with determining the correct values of x and y, particularly y. x is the page number; y is the page count. These are both numerical variables--the simplest data type that you will encounter. However, more than once I have gone through a document page by page to force Word to do a proper count of the document's pages.

When it comes to automatic text, one need look no farther than our "favorite" word processor, Word, to see the pitfalls. Just try to use "(c)" in an enumerated list.

The OP is asking for something much more sophisticated than simple character sequence substitution. The OP as asking for automatic language translation. So "Pages" and "of" will no longer be set text but language-linked text. Because it this is a facility that makes no sense if limited to just two words and two languages, we will have a morass of words that automatically change when we change language.

There is a low-cost Mac word processor specializes in multiple languages. It is Mellel. If you prefer a full-feature word processor, then Nisus Writer Pro prides itself on its multilingual support. If it is possible to develop the feature that the OP wants, then one or both of these word processors will have it. If not, then then OP will have be satisfied with translating text between languages the old fashioned way.

4. casperes1996 thread starter macrumors 68040

casperes1996

I'm not even asking for automatic language detection for the footer. Give me a box that allows me to change the fixed text and I'll be fine. I just don't want to have to manually count the number of pages, just to get the language of the fixed text to be the correct language.

Whilst people generally seem to prefer Office over iWork, I actually find iWork to be better, not necessarily in terms of features, because I know Office has more (although iWork has all I need), but in terms of implementation of said features.

Thanks for the app advices, but I'd prefer to continue using Pages. If I can't get my footers to be how I want them, I guess I'll have to use workarounds :(
    Thanks

5. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

If I understand what you want to do, it is easy. You need to insert 2 footer items with the text in between. On the "insert" drop down, choose "page number," add your text, and then insert "page count."