Pages for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by r-sparks, May 10, 2012.

1. r-sparks, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

I've been using Pages for iPad and am loving it. I have a Targus Bluetooth keyboard and it's a fine combo. For content generation it's great although not so good for editing at the moment.

I've got a list of things I can't do in Pages however. Can any regular Pages user tell me if I'm right or wrong and maybe add their own? I will then send an email to the product suggestions dept of Apple.

This list might also be useful for all the college kids who post here asking if they can survive at college with just an iPad.

Pages for iOS/iPad limitations:

- No Cmd+B for bold or any formatting if using external keyboard -- must use toolbar
    - No "learn spelling"
    - No redo button although hitting Shift+Cmd+Z does it if using ext keyboard
    - no way to save files periodically (i.e. no Cmd+S) -- must return to Documents listing for doc to be saved to iCloud
    - no autocapitalization at start of sentences, or correction of common typos ('teh' etc)
    - selecting text by holding shift on an ext keyboard can be non-intuitive. If you delay while selecting individual lines Pages seems to assume you now want to select entire paragraphs each time you hit the up or down keys
    - it appears that when uploading a Word file to WebDAV or FTP that the file is exported each time, which could mess-up formatting on complex docs

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Another issue I have - when creating tables in pages, I cannot find a way to adjust the spacing of the rows and columns. It seems they are stuck at equal distances by default.

Any way around this? :confused:

The start of my sentences are always capitalised, and spell checker works fine for me. :confused: Do you want to check under tools--> settings to see if spell checker was toggled off by mistake?

3. r-sparks, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

r-sparks thread starter macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Are you using an external keyboard? If so, which one?

I found a way to add words to Pages' dictionary. It's an old trick I read ages ago. Add a new contact and add the words to any of the fields (i.e. name). But crucially you need to restart Pages for it work.

I'm finding Pages more than a little buggy on my iPad. One persistent problem seems to be that words aren't where they should be. I try to highlight words, for example, and find that I highlight something else. Things get screwed up. Typing a letter forces the screent to refresh and sort things out.

I'm also finding that some italics formatting doesn't stick around after I return to documents view. I'm not sure if this is just me going mad, though!

At least it doesn't crash, however... :rolleyes:

4. erawsd macrumors 6502

To redo you have to hold down the undo button.

To adjust table size you have to select a row/column and then drag using the two little vertical lines.

5. r-sparks thread starter macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Thanks! Any more tips?

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I feel like such a moron! Thanks! :)

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There's a redo button in the on screen keyboard's symbols layout. Tap "123" key to get numbers, then the shift key changes to "#+=". Tap that, and the Undo key changes to Redo.

8. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I was trying to use Pages lady night and it kept crashing. I've never had that before using my iPad 1. I wonder if they introduced a bug when they upgraded it for iPad 3? This was the first time I've really used it since getting my new iPad.

9. r-sparks thread starter macrumors 6502

r-sparks

It's stable as a rock in my iPad 3 although I've only really created simple documents. When do you get crashes?

10. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

I really miss the "insert Date" feature and the Tab key.

11. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I think it crashed while highlighting and editing words in my Word document. It's a rather simple Word document though, a template I use for short story and novel manuscripts.

12. r-sparks thread starter macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Maybe try converting the template to an rtf or Pages file if you can, and then importing it. I've no idea if it'll work but it might be worth a try.