Pages Headers Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by colorog, Jan 15, 2015.

1. colorog macrumors newbie

Using Pages — I'm formatting kthe copy for a textbook. I want to have the header on left pages show the book title and the header on right pages show the chapter title. is that possible on Pages?

2. HobeSoundDarryl, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
  3. colorog, Jan 15, 2015

colorog thread starter macrumors newbie

Pages

Version 5.5.2 —— I don't know what year that is, but it is a new iMac

I went to the link you listed, but my version doesn't have most of what is being referred to.

4. HobeSoundDarryl, Jan 15, 2015

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    You have the new version, so it appears it can't do what you want.

I know it's weird that an old version from 2009 can do it and the newer version can't but there's a ton of things the old Pages could do that was cut from the new version (so that it was more feature compatible with the iToys). If you need that capability, look elsewhere... or you can still buy the old (IMO, far superior) version on sites like Amazon and Ebay.

One other idea: if your textbook would be fine published to iBooks (for iPad, etc), Apple does have this (former) Pages-like software called iBooks Author that probably does what you want: http://www.apple.com/ibooks-author/ But be sure you understand it's limitations in terms of publishing options.

There's also the very popular, very specific app for book publishing called Scrivener: http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php and I'm pretty sure it can do what you want. It has a free trial so you could verify before you buy.

5. colorog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

Wow! Thank you for passing along your extensive knowledge of my issue. How nice to be able to get such a complete answer to my question. Thanks for being there.