Pages - Importing Tables

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Flow16z, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Flow16z macrumors newbie

Hi when I try to import a table from a website into the latest version of Pages, the table format isn't kept but instead it is spaced out over 4 or 5 pages. How can I make Pages keep the table format and not switch it to pure text?

2. Flow16z thread starter macrumors newbie

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

That usually happens because what looks like a table on a web page really isn't. Pages '09 is better than previous versions but still can be a problem. So, a couple of suggestions:
    1. Make sure when you paste into Pages you're NOT using Paste & Match Style.
    2. Create a basic table in Pages & then select the first cell then paste. Make sure just the cell is outlined & the cursor is NOT blinking in the cell.
    3. Paste the data into a Numbers table then copy & paste into Pages. Numbers is much better at receiving data like this from the web.

4. Flow16z thread starter macrumors newbie

That seems like an awful lot of processes to do what Ms Word on PC's can do so easily?

5. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Word for Mac as well as one of the Office clones (NeoOffice, Open Office) may do it as "easily" as you can on a PC, but your question was about Pages which is why I made the suggestions I did. I find the problem isn't so much Pages as whoever coded the web site. Still, Numbers does a better job. If you have Pages '08 or '09 you have Numbers.