Pages in iWork

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by standingquiet, Jun 26, 2010.

1. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

Hi Guys,

When i open a .DOC file it will not display it correctly.

On a windows based PC it is 6 pages but when i open it on my Macbook it is only 2 pages and all the information is squeezed into 1 page and so cannot view it all with out having to drag the table.

I've uploaded a video on youtube for you to see what i mean. ( please note the table was a lot longer but i removed personal details so the table has shortened )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3FuwL5weUc

Also i am not making the document its one that was sent to me.

any help would be great.

Thanks Matt

2. dodge this macrumors member

When I run into stuff that Pages won't play nice with (usually because of some microsoft coding), I open the document in NeoOffice. Its free open source office software like OpenOffice. NeoOffice is a swiss army knife that works well.

Not sure how I would fix that in Pages, tho.

3. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

I would recommend OpenOffice.org over NeoOffice (because Oo_O is updated more often). I haven't seen any real advantage to using NeoOffice.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

First; file a bug report with Apple. It will be something in the converter that Pages uses.

Second; I second the NeoOffice suggestion. I keep a copy around for when I need something more Office like, even though 90% of what I need to do is with iWork.

I don't necessarily dislike Open Office, its just that at the time NeoOffice was trying to Mac-ify itself, and OO wasn't. I like NeoOffice enough that I donated to the effort.

I would suggest you download both NO and OO and try them out and decide for yourself.