Pages Lost a very important file I was working on after

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blow45, Oct 22, 2011.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

Ios 5 update. As you can imagine I m a bit gutted. Is there any chance of recovery. I ve been reading about similar lost files after the update....could it be somewhere in a back up or something? We are talking about weeks of work here...

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, it's not a third party app hence here, but forum organisation sucks ass, I got to say in all honesty.

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

1. If you lost the file, you can try to restore from earlier backups and see if it shows up there. Quite frankly, you should either set up WebDAV for DropBox or such or just reply on iCloud from now on so that you always have it somewhere other than the physical device
    2. If you have complaints about the forum, you should post them in the tips thread on the main forums page, just search for it

3. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks!
    :)
    You mean restore the whole iPad just to see if it's there and then reinstall iOS and set it up again. But does it actually back up pages files? isn't there a quicker way to just search the backup of the iPad instead, provided pages files are being backed up...are they?

I use Dropbox and iCloud, but frankly files can't just disappear from the device, and of course some files are too sensitive to have on the cloud.

I don't have complaints about the forum, it was just an observation.

4. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

He told you to restore from a backup and see if it's there. So do that.

5. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh an Internet bully, pitiable.

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Document files are typically backed up via iTunes, but any backups can and do get corrupted sometimes, or overwritten by newer ones. If you have a backup that predates the upgrade--but doesn't predate your document--it's definitely worth trying to restore from it. Just make sure you save anything you've done since then, and not via iTunes backup, since that often overwites the old ones.

7. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Cool, will do thanks, it's just a hassle that iOS 5 update coincides, so I'll restore back to iTunes 4 but what can you do. Will check out if I do have a suitable back up cause I connected to iTunes last night.

Thanks!

8. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Not an observation

What?! Calling this an "observation" is a violataion of language, addressed to fools. Be honest, please, and not so silly to call this an "observation". You are not dealing with fools here, and you asked for help, and some even tried to help you.

9. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Why are you so angry? Take it easy, for your sake not mine, and yes it was an observation, a comment, not a complaint, I don't care as much to complain here.

And what do other forum members here who tried to help have to do with whoever organised the fora? I ve helped other people here I am not accountable for forum organisation.

Peace. :)

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

If you mean go back to iOS 4, well, good luck with that. Apple's PRNDL is missing the R part, downgrading involves a lot of jumping through hoops, if you can even do it all.

11. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

You don't have backups of very important files?

Bad move.

12. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah it was a bad move, one that I ve done countless times, despite keeping also meticulous backups, s. happens. Wish there were a time capsule for iPad too...

Anyway, for anyone who might have similar problems, sadly I did not recover the file as yesterday's backup overwrote the previous one, but at least I found a superb program to extract whatever you want from an iOS backup ibackupbot, and I m suggesting it here (without the effing drama that some posters he have when they ask or offer advice). As a bonus I got a few photos off a backup of a stolen iPhone that I didn't even realise I had, the backup not the phone lol.

Thanks to everone who tried to help. :)

13. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Pease

Agree: Peace. (A far too small matter to quarrel about....)

14. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Lmao This cracked me up. Sorry I cant help you.