Pages not saving when original file is archived

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sam892, Feb 12, 2012.

1. sam892, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

sam892 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I had a few really important documents that were open in pages for so long that I just kinda forgot where they were saved. I actually archived and deleted the folder they were in. Not knowing this, I closed the documents. Pages never even prompted me that they weren't saved or anything. They just closed. Of course I checked the archive and they weren't updated.

Is there anything I can do to get them back or am I just screwed? Thank you everyone

NOTE: It's not just with archiving. You can have a document open in pages and delete the file and still be working on it for months but, when you close it, it will be gone forever without a prompt from pages. Try it out yourself.

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X version do you have?
    Do you have any kind of backup?

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one (as yours does not reflect your actual issue), just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you hadn't made changes to the documents, of course they would close without prompting. It only prompts if the file has been modified. You can't accurately claim there is a "flaw" in Pages when what happened was purely a case of user error.

4. sam892 thread starter macrumors newbie

saimsaladimbamba- I have version 10.7.3 of OS X and version 4.1 of Pages. I enabled auto backups so every folder that contains a pages document also contains a backup of that document.

GGJstudios- Sorry if I wasn't clear enough about it but I did modify the file. If I hadn't, this wouldn't be a problem. This is a flaw in pages- try it yourself (if you have Lion). Create a document and save it then archive it and delete the original. Type a new sentence into the document then close it. See if it prompts you.