Pages numbering

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by migulic, May 1, 2008.

1. migulic macrumors member

Sometimes I think that Apple hates us all - even the most simple of tasks are difficult to accomplish in iWork...

Here's my question: I would like to make a numbered list of answers, which are of the format 1. a) b) c) 2. a) b) c), etc. Basically, I want numbers and letters to be displayed at the same time. The only thing I was able to accomplish in Pages was this: I start the list, the number 1 appears. I press tab to get to a), but then the 1 disappears. Help! I've been trying to do this for 45 minutes now. In Word on Windows it was all so easy...

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's difficult to know what your problem is from the description. I can create automatically numbered and lettered lists in Pages. I suspect that you are trying to do this with without using or creating the correct list style(s). Probably the most overlooked and misunderstood feature of Pages is styles, so I have to guess that this is your issue.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm guessing you want your list to appear like 2. below, and not like 1. below, right?

I could do it in Pages, but it took a bit of faking. I manually typed the a), then hit option-tab get the space after the a). Then I had to set a tab to align it with the list below, as well as manually set the indent after the number. then for the list below starting with b) I had to manually set it to start at the letter b).

Make sense?

It's not as hard as it sounds, and once you have one list item set up, you can copy and past to create the list; then all you have to do is edit the text.

Attached Files:

4. migulic thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, for the vague description I was frustrated since I had to get this done very quickly. I just used my PC for now, but the problem was to have two tiers of numbering (in this case: "1." and "a)") on one line.

EDIT: didn't see the last post. Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Thanks.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You don't need to trick around in Pages to make this work, you just need to set the styles up properly.