Pages PDFs can not be opened on Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OneHeart, May 14, 2009.

1. OneHeart macrumors newbie

Hi can somebody PLEASE tell me why all the documents I've made on pages, exported to pdf and sent to windows users can't be opened at the other end?
    Pages is great for formating docs, but I'm about to give up on it as nobody seems to EVER be able to open it! If I export it as a .doc it loses the format. Thanks.

2. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Try Printing as a pdf instead of exporting, and let us know how you get on.
    Which version of Pages are you using?

3. thegilly macrumors member

Someone has to be the idiot who asks the blindingly obvious, I suppose, so let me volunteer: are the Windows users who aren't able to open your files equipped with appropriate and up-to-date PDF-reading software? Windows can't handle PDFs 'out of the box'.

4. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Maybe because you're sending them a file with no extension (.pdf) that their stupid PCs (or the clueless owners of those PCs) can not figure out what program to open it with?

Just try to add the .pdf to the files before you send them.

5. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

an explicit error message goes a long way to getting help. phrases like "it doesn't work" don't help - people need to know the actual symptom(s) to provide informed advice.

Does Adobe Reader start and report that the file isn't a valid .pdf?
    Does Adobe Reader not even start?
    Do they have Adobe Reader installed?
    As other have pointed out - does the filename include ".pdf" which Windows uses to identify which program to use?