Pages Problem? Mac Problem? or Printer Problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrtekkid, Jun 14, 2007.

1. mrtekkid macrumors regular

My General Manager just bought a macbook after me telling her the benefits of having one. She is the fourth person who has bought a Mac after I have told them about the benefits. I am however still waiting for my first mac to come in the mail. :D

Anyhow, she wants to do a newsletter for our work and she was doing it with Pages. It was one of the main reasons she got a Mac to begin with. However when she printed the newsletter she got a printout that looked like this...

[​IMG]

Thinking it was an error, she printed another one. The same thing happened. Baffled, she asked me what was wrong. My thought was this, the fonts on the page that did not display correctly are not printer friendly. I told her to change the font to something that was, .ie Arial for example. While I have not seen the new printout she said it did about the same thing.

My question now is this...

How can this issue be fixed so this page prints out okay? She told me that she will return the Mac if it doesn't work. She will just continue using the PC her husband has to do the newsletter.

Is this an issue with Pages itself? A setting that needs to be changed somewhere? Is this potentially an issue with the Macbook itself??

or the one I think it is most likely to be...

Is it an issue with the printer?? She has a HP812C that she got back in 2000 or so when she got her Gateway laptop. Is the printer too old to understand and print the information it is receiving? Could a new printer resolve the issue? Or is it possibly just an issue with the printer driver and maybe a driver update would fix it...??Is it possible that the driver is not installed for the printer and just installing the driver would resolve the issue altogether?? If it is a driver issue...where can I find a driver for mac to give her to install?? I would hate for her to return it or have to drive an hour plus to the local Mac store to resolve the issue and I was hoping that someone could assist me here.

Thanks. I can try to answer any other questions to the best of my ability, but I may have to ask her and then post her reply.

You can see the text issues throughout the newsletter at the top near the middle....etc...where text is just cut off half way.

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

First thing you can try:

When you get to the Print dialog, go to the PDF pulldown at the bottom left and select Save As PDF. Open up the PDF that is then created and see how it looks in Preview. If it looks fine, then you have a problem with the printer. If it looks like the one you posted, then something is messed up with the Pages template.