Pages Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RossMc, Apr 2, 2011.

1. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I have just bought Pages on the iPad.

I was just wondering if there is anyway I can open documents from the Internet in Pages? My university has a thing called Blackboard where all documents for my course are such as assignment sheets etc so I was wondering if I could open them from that site in Pages or do I just have to download them on my laptop then sync them to Pages?

2. Zeos macrumors 6502

When you open a document in Safari, a banner should open at the top of the page allowing you to select an App using an "Open In..." button. This banner should also show up when you tap on the document you just opened in Safari.

3. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

Thanks for the reply.

I have just tried but don't see anything like that. I pressed the button to the left of the address bar but that doesn't say anything about pages either.

[​IMG]

4. caubeck macrumors 6502

"Open in" appears if it's a format that Pages can handle, such as Word or PDF. You can copy and paste into Pages, or use another app to fetch the webpages (eg, Filer) and then convert to Word.

5. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

They are all .doc files. Pages should be able to open that right?

6. caubeck macrumors 6502

If it's opening a doc as a link yes; if it's imbedded in some way then no. For example, if I go to a webpage whose address ends in PDF then I can open it in Pages. If it opens within a webpage as a window or tab, with non-PDF elements bordering it, I cannot.

I can try for you if you have a link.

7. mactouros macrumors member

When you have the document open and displayed in Safari, if you don't see an "open in" button try a quick tap in the middle of the screen with your finger. That extra bar with that button automatically hides and that reveals it.

8. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

try to tap and hold on the document you can see on the screen.

9. Stirolak26 macrumors member

I have a question regarding Pages. Why is it that After typing a long document it starts glitchingz. Like your words are blank spaces and a letter gets stuck.

10. caubeck macrumors 6502

I get this too, and not always in very long documents. I have to X out completely and reopen.

11. deftdrummer macrumors regular

Sounds like pages maybe can't be relied on fully then? I was thinking about buying too ut not if it is limited and has bugs to boot.

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think the issue is that the website is opening the document within the page, rather than actually loading the document itself without a webpage around it. Does the site have a link to download the document, rather than open it?

13. caubeck macrumors 6502

I've had the trouble four times in two months but Pages still beats the competition.

14. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Try the app "URL to PDF" That may help you out a lot.