Pages Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by .fred, Feb 1, 2008.

1. .fred macrumors regular

Hey iWork gurus.

I have two questions regarding pages.

1. Is there a way to automatically insert page numbers at the bottom?
    2. How can i make my text have double tab?

Thanks guys!

2. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

if you mouse down to the bottom of the page, a little box should appear. this is the header and footer bar (because there's one on top of the page as well.) click the mouse in the box to get the cursor there, align right or left or middle, go to insert and find page number.

and i'm not sure if you mean something else, but you can tab in twice..

3. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

I know how to insert page number, but can i set it to do so automatically?

And sorry, i meant double spacing between words.

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

He just told you how. :) Put your cursor in the footer box, and select "Page Number" from the "Insert" menu.

Is this not working for you?

5. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Okay, I just figured out you may be asking something different than what I thought you were asking.

What we described is how to set each page up to automatically number. Do you want each document to automatically have page numbers, so you don't have to add them every time? If so...

1. Create a blank document.

2. Follow the steps above.

3. Choose "Save as Template" from the "File" menu. Give it a name like "Blank with Page Numbers", or something like that.

When you create a new document, choose the "Blank with Page Numbers" template.

That help?

6. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. Thanks Heavy Doody!

For my second question, any thoughts?

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

You basically want the equivalent of 2 spaces between every word, without having to hit the space bar twice?

If there is a way to do this, I'm not aware of it. Doesn't sound like a very common need.

There are several options for line spacing and letter spacing, but I can't think of a way to double-space between words.

Just curious... Why? I've never heard of anybody wanting to do this before.

8. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

9. kewpid macrumors regular

Can't you just do a search and replace of every space with a double space after you finish your essay?

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Tabs and spaces are different things.

Your request is unusual, but the answer is obvious. Type your document as usual using single spaces between words. When you are done, do a Find and Replace. Find single spaces and Replace them with two spaces.

That said, I would bet dollars to donuts that you misunderstood your instructor's instructions. Most likely, the instructor asked for double-spacing between lines. This makes a paper easier to read and easy to mark-up. There is no benefit to adding an extra space between words.

11. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Do you mean double spaces between each word, or a double space at the end of a sentence?

The last one is the only one that makes sense as that is the "proper" way (before the internet) to space sentences and could easily be a requirement for a paper or essay at school.

12. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, its double space after the end of every sentence.

13. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

you can't hit the space bar twice at the end of every sentence? :confused: lord knows its a natural instinct after every period or question mark i write..

14. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I don't think there is a way to do this then other than using the search and replace that people have already mentioned (as well as just getting in the habit of hitting the spacebar twice.)

On the other hand I can't think of any other program that does this either.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Double-space after a period -- that's just so typewriter! I'm surprised that anybody wants to see that ugly thing anymore.

Anyway, making it so is easy enough using find-and-replace, as others have mentioned. I would find every instance of [space][space] and replace it with [space], then find every instance of [.][space] and replace it with [.][space][space].