Pages question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jcmc, May 31, 2010.

1. jcmc macrumors member

Hi,

Using Pages, I have the Check Spelling option turned on. As ever there are words that come up like foreign names which are spelled correctly but are not recognised within the inbuilt dictionary.

That makes sense and of course they are underlined in red, however the question I have is what you can do that is the equivalent of Add Word To Dictionary in Mac OS X so that they are no longer flagged.

All I can see you can do is search for alternatives which is not relevant here. I also don't want to turn off Check Spelling in case I do spell a conventional word wrongly.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,
    Craig

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I am pretty sure that editable dictionaries are coming in OS 4. (Sometime in June or July). Until then, you're stuck, sorry.

BTW - in future can you make sure that thread titles are something useful like 'editing dictionaries in pages' not just 'pages question'. Thanks.

3. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

There is no current Add to Dictionary option. However, iPhone OS 4.0 will add this feature and allow you to edit your custom dictionary in the Settings.

4. caubeck macrumors 6502

OS 4 doesn't come to the iPad till October.

5. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Seriously?! I didn't see that in the keynote. That's stupid.

6. jcmc thread starter macrumors member

7. stil macrumors member

stil

A little work around while you wait.

the spell check recognizes words from your contacts list. that's why surnames and company names etc are not underlined.

You can add a contact, call it maybe Dictionary, then in the company line add words that the spell check doesn't like. and they wont be flagged anymore. its good for elaborate swear words too. ;-)

8. bluespark macrumors 65816

That's quite clever, stil. Good work.