Pages - Save As?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thomamon, Aug 16, 2011.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Well, I can no longer find the Save As feature in pages to save something with a new name... Is there a way to do this anymore or has it been removed for some reason?

Thanks!

2. MrWaffles macrumors member

3. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Export is different.

Export is when you want to change the document into a different format (i.e. pdf, doc etc). Save as has been replaced with Duplicate in Lion where you then give it a new file name.

4. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

To get to the old Save As… dialog box you need File > Duplicate then File > Save…

5. viktoreah macrumors newbie

I still have the 'save as' feature with Pages and I'm running Lion. I had to check to make sure. I use 'save as' frequently I'm sure I would have noticed had it not been there.

Does it matter what version of Pages?

6. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Yes, the latest update to Pages 4.1 added the ability to use Lion features. Pages 4.1 in Snow Leopard has Save As…

7. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

This was an awful decision to remove this...

Who would we write to and complain about this missing? They need to add it back ASAP.

8. waynep macrumors 6502

The functionality is still there. It's just a little different. File -> Duplicate . . .

9. mazurka macrumors member

Not intuitive at all

Why is Lion so non-intuitive in areas like this? I'm still stumbling every time I want to 'save as'. Edited documents have disappeared completely. Dare I say it, but it reminds me of Windows. Mail is also counter-intuitive in various areas, such as the impossibly obscure search function. Likewise Address Book. In the Leopard address book if you wanted to find what group a contact was in, you simply selected the name and hit Alt. Now that function seems to have disappeared completely. Or maybe, like 'save as', it's buried several layers deep. I'm still half-expecting 'save target as' to appear as a command.

10. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

In the new pages, doesn't CMD + s "save a version", essentially the same as save as?

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Because "Duplicate" is more intuitive to new users than "Save As" and 50% of all Macs are sold to new users. But I agree that old habits are hard to break.

12. zapadeeboom macrumors newbie

Very stupid changes

Duplicate is NOT the same as Save As.

Save As immediately opens a Save As dialog box so you can rename the file and save it. Worked fine and intuitively for centuries...

Pages comes along and screws with this simple and intuitive convention -

When you "Duplicate" a document Pages immediately creates a duplicate file on the screen. And does NOT open a dialog box to save it - THIS SUCKS!

You have to CLOSE the document to name the newly created duplicate with a new file name. Too many steps and not intuitive.

Others have suggested Export as a workaround - But, you'll see that the Export window does not have an option to save the file as a Pages document!!!!!

Evidently Apple feels that Exporting means to a different Ap.
    So you can export a Pages document to a pdf, Word, RTF, Plain Text or ePub.
    But NOT as a Pages file.

-Grrrrr

So the simplest workaround seems to be to Duplicate the document, Close it, and give it a new name when the Ap asks for a name for the duplicate doc.

Ironically enough the title of the field where you have to save the new file name is...

Wait for it...

Save As

13. snberk103 macrumors 603

Yep. I'm not loving the new way either. I've been trying to adapt, and get used to the "new" way - to give it a fair chance.... but I find it harder to work with. Plus there is "Save a Version"... which I've yet to play with...

Sigh...

14. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I never said Duplicate was the same as Save As… I said to get the old Save As… dialog box you have to duplicate and then Save…, a two-step process.

Mountain Lion brings back a keyboard shortcut for Save As…, but applications have to be updated to take advantage. Pages & Numbers have not been updated.

15. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    Is it possible to save a document both to the Cloud and your desktop at the same time?

16. BBVE macrumors newbie

BBVE

Actually the functions are NOT the same. The most critical loss is that you can no longer embed and play videos in your pages documents or your PDFs. The file MUST be <Save as> and then save the audio and/or video files into the PDF so they will play. You can no longer do that making Pages 09 a waste. Apple is making money on removing this and likely charging for the function in updates. Typical. But no, the functions are not the same and even Lynda.com isn't aware of this and neither is anyone else.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2016 ---

The ONLY person Apple listened to was Steve Jobs, and he's not talking.

17. chscag macrumors 68000

You're replying to a thread that is over three years old.

18. Stefan344 macrumors newbie

Stefan344

Correction: He's commenting on a problem that hadn't been fixed in three years and still sucks in 2016.

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

20. chscag macrumors 68000

Wrong. Read the second post in this thread. Just because something is not marked as "Save As" doesn't mean it can't be saved as. Works the same way. o_O

21. Meister Suspended

Meister

"Export" is not "save as".

22. campyguy macrumors 68030

Are ya'll griping about Version 5 of Pages, now on v 5.6.1? Just asking... I no longer use the earlier version of Pages.

In the File Menu of v. 5.6.1, look for "Duplicate" - then hold down the Option Key. There it is - "Save As…", or "Command-Option-Shift-S" - it's been there for a few years now.

FWIW, the "Export" command has been simply a means of converting the RTF/XML file within the Pages Package file to another format, just like MS Word's ".docx" file is a modified "ZIP" container "file" that contains the core XML file that we "edit" when opening a modern Word "file" - it's just fairly transparent to those who don't know about these two applications baser file formats. Cheers.

23. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I can't believe nobody has shared the simple fix that has been around since this problem arose in Lion, and it still works in the latest beta of El Capitan. This fix places the Save As command back in the File menu, as well as activates the keyboard shortcut.

1. Open System Preferences from the  Apple menu and choose “Keyboards”
    2. Click the “Keyboard Shortcuts” tab and choose “Application Shortcuts” from the list on the left
    3. Press the [+] plus button to add a new shortcut, and for Menu Title type Save As… exactly, with the periods
    4. Click to “Keyboard Shortcut” and hit the familiar Command+Shift+S, then click “Add”
    5. Open any test document in Pages, or whatever other app, and hit Command+Shift+S to see the familiar Save As window return.