Pages select extremely slow

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Notawiz, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Notawiz macrumors newbie

Hi, I wonder if anyone else has had this problem...

I have a second generation iPad, running the latest version of the iOS and the latest version of iWork Pages.

Almost every time I make a selection, say, double tap to select one word, it takes a considerable time for the selection menu (Cut/Copy/Paste...) to appear. Sometimes just one second, but very often even five to ten seconds! Before the menu pops up, everything is frozen. I can type a couple of words into the buffer and they will replace the selected word once the freeze-up ends, but otherwise there's nothing I can do but wait.

Although I'm not sure now, I may have noticed the same behaviour in other apps, too (Notes and such), but in Pages it definitely is much more obvious.

What could explain this? Is there something wrong? I have tried booting and rebooting. It's the 64GB iPad and I have 8GB free.

I use iCloud, and I can understand that this may be the reason of slowness when loading and updating/refreshing documents and such - but it shouldn't constantly affect the writing process, right?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

2. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I have not seen this, but I've only recently started to use Pages on my mini1. Have you noticed a relation between delay time and file size?

3. Notawiz thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it's a question of file size... Recently I've been working on a document with less than ten pages, only text.

As far as I can remember, this is a relatively new problem. Earlier, I have edited files with more than one hundred pages, and I never noticed anything like this.

Maybe it's got something to do with the update of Pages or iOS, but I'm not sure.

4. paulostiner macrumors newbie

The same thing exactly as you described is happening to me, and it is driving me nuts.
    Though I'm sure people would promptly tell you it's your hardware that's slowing you down, I don't believe that's the case, because I'm using an iPad Air, also 64Gb with plenty of free space.

Btw, I've seen this happening only in Pages. As you mentioned, I've checked Notes and it works perfectly. I'm gonna go ahead and try other iWork suite apps - Keynote and Numbers.

Have you tried reinstalling the app? I just noticed this behavior, and I'm on the go, so I'll have to wait until I get home on the wifi to delete and install it again.

5. paulostiner macrumors newbie

So yeah, it does seem to be the case... Keynote is having the same issue, though it responds a little faster than Pages. It is indeed taking a short while to appear.

Maybe it's me, but I've noticed these apps (Pages and Keynote) are acting a little too slow in overall behavior. It's barely noticeable though.

6. mwooz macrumors newbie

selection delay

I have this same problem with my MacAir. I installed the Pages update the other day but it didn't fix the problem. It really makes it difficult to use Pages.

Did anyone find a solution?

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I just tried this on my iPhone 5, and iPad 3Gen. I did not notice this.

Could this be a font issue maybe?

8. mwooz macrumors newbie

Text selecting delay on Pages

It's none of those things. I'm using basic Atrial. It's a bug in Pages, I believe. I thought the update would fix it, but no.

I don't hear much chatter about it, so it must be an isolated problem. I think I'm going to delete and reinstall.