PAGES - Selecting Paper Type?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nomadski, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Nomadski macrumors regular

This is probably a 2nd grade question to most here, but I only recently bought my wife our first MacBook and she has made a nice little "newsletter" with photos and text that she wants to print off.

We tried printing normally on paper and the effect was predictably dull, so I slipped in some photo paper and for the life of me I cant figure out how to change the paper type.

Sure, I can change A4, A3 etc or Portrait / Landscape but in printer settings, or thru Pages setup or print options cant seem to select paper type so the printer knows im printing on photopaper, not plain.

Just printing off a sheet on photo paper with no settings, the results are urgh.

Any advice would be wonderful and appreciated.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That doesn't help, does it?

[​IMG]

What about changing the resolution?

3. Nomadski thread starter macrumors regular

Wah???

I get nothing like those options when I click on print. I get a tiny little box with orientation or paper size (A4 etc).

Why is my print dialogue box so small and different to your screenshot??

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Did you try pressing the triangle button on the right of the Printer list?
    That should expand it to show more options.

irmongoose

5. Nomadski thread starter macrumors regular

You will have to forgive me ineptitude in following you here, havent seen a triangle on my travels thru the various menus will look again.

EDIT: Found the triangle with PRINT in the main Pages menu. Cant believe I missed that, but yes, it expanded and I can see a whole drop down menu of options, one of which is the paper type.

TY so much, I know its a bit of a Grade 1 question, but you helped me tremendously. Thanks again.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I find it when I expand the print settings after hitting print, moving down to "paper quality" and then I see additional options for paper type. You're not inept, it's just a nice long way to choose your darn paper!

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Do you have your printer set up through the Print & Fax preference pane in System Preferences? Have you installed the driver for your printer?

Edit: Saw that you found it, that's great!

irmongoose

8. Nomadski thread starter macrumors regular

Well I felt silly because once I clicked on the arrow it all appeared and I wondered why one earth I hadn't seen it before. I'm too used to trawling through Windows menus and sub menus for things, one little arrow escaped me!

Thanks for the comments and help, I'm one short step towards leaving my post as the village mac idiot!:D

9. Aeron macrumors newbie

I can't select paper type either...

I am on a Mac w OS X 10.5.6 when I choose print from Photoshop or InDesign, I can't select paper type or output resolution.... here is a screen shot from Photoshop print menu... am I missing something???

Hmmmm I guess I can't include a screen capture... I have a large print menu box with lots of options, none of which is Select Paper Type.

HELP!!! Thanks.

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Make sure you also have the full option set. Also, if you're using specialty papers make sure you have the profiles for them for accurate color rendition. The paper manufacturers usually have these on their web pages.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

These options are printer dependent. If the print driver doesn't support paper type options, then you won't see them. (But you might have other options available, depending on what features your printer does support.)

12. Aeron macrumors newbie

How can I determine if my Mac supports my printer (or vice versa)? HP says it's a mac problem... mac says it's a driver issue... HP says the drivers come built in to OS X...... but none of my software programs allow me to select paper type... not photoshop, not InDesign, not Illustrator... which means it's got to be the printer driver or the Mac.... right?

PS Anyone know how to include a screen shot in this post? All i can find is an option to link to a URL..... thanks.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

All of the applications you mention are from Adobe. Last I used any of them, Adobe employed non-standard printing methods. Perhaps someone with more recent Adobe experience can confirm.

14. Aeron macrumors newbie

Can't Select Paper Type....

In addition to the Adobe software, I also am unable to select paper type or output resolution when printing from Pages, Numbers, Safari (webpages), etc. In fact, the only print menu that allows me to select paper type is when I try printing a photo directly from iPhoto. I get a different menu there, which allows to select paper type, but not output resolution.

I'm worried my printer (HP Business Inkjet 1100) is already obsolete and not supported by my new mac......