Pages: sub-sub headings in Table of Contents

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sepandee, Sep 27, 2007.

1. sepandee macrumors regular

I need to have a synchronized table of contents for my thesis paper, but in addition to the paragraph styles TITLE (which I use for chapters), Headings (the headings in each chapter), and sub-headings, I have sub-sub-headings or whatever it's called as well, something which Pages lacks.

Any idea how to get around this?

And am I seeing things or does Pages only have footnotes and does not allow for ENDNOTES?

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You can include any defined paragraph style in a TOC. Check out the TOC tab in the Inspector (under the document settings).

The setting for endnotes or footnotes is also in the inspector, in the document tab of document settings.

3. sepandee thread starter macrumors regular

I did define one, i called it sub-sub-heading. But in the table of contents, i want the sub-sub-heading to be under (and with an indent) sub-heading. So look at the attachment, which is the synchronized TOC of my example file. Heading 1 and 2 are under Chapter 2, and heading 2a is under heading 2 as a sub-heading. Then my sub-sub-heading under that, which I named heading 2a1, should be to the right of heading 2a, and in a smaller text, but it's not. So I gave it a name, but how do i make Pages recognize it as a sub-sub-heading?

Attached Files:

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If I understand your example, the problem may be that the TOC styles still need to be redefined the way you want them, including indents, tabs and fonts. It's also possible that your style for the sub-sub-heading is not actually assigned properly to the second instance of sub-sub-heading.

EDIT: Looking at this again, it's pretty obvious that your title Heading 3 does not have the same style assigned in the body of your text as Heading 2 or Heading 1.

5. sepandee thread starter macrumors regular

Oh wait, I assigned heading 3 wrong. you're right, i gave it sub-heading instead of heading.

As far as sub-sub-heading goes, you're telling me that I have to define the indents, tabs and fonts of sub-sub-heading myself, correct?

6. claucristo macrumors newbie