Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Somewhere in the last month an infuriating bug has cropped up with Pages. I’ll create a document using my device in a location on iCloud Drive, start typing, and then it’ll just close itself with the message “The document was deleted in another location.” Everything I’ve typed is then lost. When I re-open that document (it’s not actually deleted), it doesn’t happen again, but it completely unpredictable as to when it happens, and always happens after I‘ve typed enough stuff to make it a big problem.

Anyone else experiencing this and maybe have a suggestion to fix? This is a recent issue, and a DFU restore of my iPad did not fix it.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'd like to help you figure this out, but need a couple more (oops, more than a couple!) dtails:

1. Is the device your 2017 iPad in your sig or the iPhone?
2. Which iPadOS or iOS version is the device on?
3. What version of Pages is on that device? The latest is 10.2.
4. Is iCloud Drive the default Document Storage location for Pages on that device?
5. What are the document creations steps you do, i.e., open Pages first, it opens the Files app, you tap on iCloud Drive, and then tap the + to create a new doc, then pick the template?
6. Although you shouldn't have to, what happens if you immediately save the doc to iCloud Drive after you create it?
7. When you performed the DFU restore, did you restore from a backup or set up as new?

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
This is on the 2017 iPad, latest versions of everything. iCloud Drive is my storage for everything. I restored from iCloud after DFUing.

I figured out how to reproduce the issue 100%.

If I rename the document by touching the title in the toolbar, everything I type after that rename will get deleted when the document throws the “deleted“ error. Sometimes it’ll close itself, but if I close the document after renaming then typing, it happens every time.

So to recap: rename doc, type, close. Everything typed after the rename is lost.

Turns out you can’t rename an open document in Pages on iPhone, so I can’t test if it happens there.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
This is on the 2017 iPad, latest versions of everything. iCloud Drive is my storage for everything. I restored from iCloud after DFUing.

I figured out how to reproduce the issue 100%.

If I rename the document by touching the title in the toolbar, everything I type after that rename will get deleted when the document throws the “deleted“ error. Sometimes it’ll close itself, but if I close the document after renaming then typing, it happens every time.

So to recap: rename doc, type, close. Everything typed after the rename is lost.

Turns out you can’t rename an open document in Pages on iPhone, so I can’t test if it happens there.
It's such an odd issue. Let me see if I can reproduce it.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
OK, that took all of 30 seconds, so yup, it's reproducible. Nice catch! You might want to report it: https://www.apple.com/feedback/pages-ios-ipados.html.

1601503671566.png

Reactions: 997440 and eicca

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Reported.

At least now I know how to work around it. But still...

Reactions: 0128672

BobiOSGamer

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2020
Hello. I am having the same exact problem since I upgraded to iPad OS 14.

I’m using an iPad Pro 3rd Gen 12.9“

I just submitted a report as well.

Reactions: 0128672

BobiOSGamer

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2020
Update, I sent this video to the iWork Support Team:

They are also requesting log files.

It’s critical people are aware of this bug, otherwise a lot of hard work can be lost, quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 997440

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Update, I sent this video to the iWork Support Team:

They are also requesting log files.

It’s critical people are aware of this bug, otherwise a lot of hard work can be lost, quickly.
Wow, that's great they're diving right in asking for your log files. That's encouraging.

BobiOSGamer

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2020
I think it’s an iCloud problem. When I tried it locally, nothing bad happened.
[automerge]1601930344[/automerge]

BobiOSGamer

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2020
Figured out a possible pattern.

First, the problem only occurs via iCloud, not local storage.

If new lines added then title changed, not likely to crash the save.

If title changed, then new lines added, likely to crash the save.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
They also sent me a message requesting logs and such. I gotta set aside some time to get it done.

Don Filcek

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2020
I have been having the same issues and stumbled on this forum. So glad to know what is causing it. My loses have been minimal, BUT my trust in using Pages is shaken. Every Wednesday I write a 3,000 word manuscript that I CANNOT afford to lose. I hope this gets a fix soon!

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Completed my logging of the issue today and sent results to Apple. Hopefully this gets resolved quick as well.

Reactions: 997440 and 0128672

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
It seems that iOS 14.2 has fixed the issue.

Everyone else give it a try and confirm please.

Reactions: BobiOSGamer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.