Pages: Two columns that continue through whole document

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RParmly, May 2, 2012.

1. RParmly macrumors newbie

Quick question. I'm using Pages to prepare for a talk I'm giving and wanted to have two separate columns. One column (right side) would be for the manuscript of exactly what I'm going to say. The other column (left side) would be for quick notes so that I don't have to give the talk straight from the manuscript.

My question is, is it possible to set up the document so that when I get to the end of one of the columns it goes to the next page rather than onto the other column? In other words, I don't want to be typing at the end of the left side column and have the text jump over into the right column but rather just go to the second page. I want two columns but don't want the text connected. I want each column to function as its own document, so to speak, where I have complete control.

Any help on this? I also have Open Office and Word 2010. If one of those programs can do it then I'll use that.

Thanks so much for the help!

2. calb macrumors 6502

I believe you'll need to use publishing view with text boxes and overflow/linking to control text like that. (Though I could very well be wrong!)

3. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

+1

Though I can see the desirability of this function in your circumstance, this isn't how the column feature was designed to be used. To the best of my knowledge, neither of the other two WPs that you mentioned can do this, either.