"Pages" updated

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by caubeck, Sep 22, 2010.

1. caubeck macrumors 6502

Apple has just updated Pages to 1.2.

The main improvements from my point of view are the footnotes and wordcount. Still no folders and no "open in."

Minimal updates, totally Applesque.

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Considering that the lack of footnotes was the major complaint against Pages (a complaint you yourself repeated a few times), I'd say it was a significant update.

3. caubeck thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure. Shame the footnotes aren't hyperlinked, cannot be created only read, and only appear in newly imported documents (missing in anything imported to date). Half a solution instead of a proper solution. Should I grumble?

4. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I'm genuinely curious, how would elements of a document that were previously not imported into Pages automatically appear due to a software update that now allows these elements to be imported?

The big takeaway from this software update is that has acknowledged that the lack of footnotes was an issue in Pages for iOS. As it stands now, the only thing missing in basic functionality is the ability to add a note. We can edit existing notes and those will be exported. I imagine the next significant Pages update will increase functionality to be able to add notes natively.

5. caubeck thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, hmm. But then again, if Pages had left them intact yet invisible as QO and others do this would not be a problem. There's no solution for those documents now but finding workarounds has made them quite messy. It could have been avoided.

Some kind of folder system should not take much ingenuity and manpower to implement, and it's hardly a revolution requiring deep planning.

But I'm glad you're easily satisfied. Good for you.

6. Brammy macrumors 65816

So, you consider an update that finally integrates Pages with some sort of Cloud storage a minimal update?

This update to me was huge and had more features than 1.1. 1.1 was more of a "yeah, we screwed up by not giving you the toolbar in landscape" update.

7. caubeck thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a great feature. But I don't see how adding pretty obvious updates so slowly over a 6 month period can be applauded when the hype surrounding iWorks has been so huge. Six months on and I can't open Pages docs directly into any other app? After half a year there's still no way to organize my documents within the app itself?

The app was available from the start, and it's only at 1.2 after 6 months. I don't mind admitting I'm not impressed.

8. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I actually think the iDisk integration into iWork is pretty significant. Once Apple reworks iDisk to give it the kind of file system management capabilities already found in great apps like Goodreader (I.e. Create new folders, copy/cut/paste docs around, etc.) then we may very well finally have our file system.

9. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Still no subscript or superscript? Display fine if imported but can't create them in a doc on iPad :(

10. skullnbones macrumors newbie

The PDF bug hasn't been fixed yet either. When I export/email a file as a pdf the font helvetica isn't able to be rendered by Windows-based computers I might send it to (that is, most of em), instead appearing as dots only.

I have left feedback on their site (again). Pages for mac doesn't do this, just Pages for iPad.