Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Hey y'all,

What do you guys think is a good simple all-around word processing app for the iPad. I'm only seeing a little bit about Pages, OfficeSuite (regular and premium) and DocumentsToGo. The reviews don't look very good on DTG.

Any of you guys have any hands-on practical experience with these apps? Which do you recommend?

Thanks.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I've had too many issues with NUmbers that I stopped using iWork. I know you asked about Pages. But I had issues mostly with the formatting if I wanted to open something on my Mac then my iPad or vise versa. I dont think i could ever email a numbers spreadsheet to my ipad, it would never open in the mobile version of numbers. And the new feature of copying to/from MobileMe never works for me. I now use QuickOffice, and it's great. No formatting issues , and I love the Dropbox integration. I've had it on my iPhone and love that version also, I should have saved my money and never tried iWork.

MrMoore

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
Arlington Heights,IL
What's Google Docs?

Google Docs http://docs.google.com is a web-based Office Suite. You can do word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations. At the moment, it is not formatted for an iPad, but they said it should soon.

Both Documents to Go and Quickoffice can load documents create in Google Docs.

I use Docs to Go because it handles the Microsoft Office format better and the app is Universal (Works on both and iPhone and iPad). The Quickoffice has seperate versions.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Google Docs http://docs.google.com is a web-based Office Suite. You can do word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations. At the moment, it is not formatted for an iPad, but they said it should soon.

Both Documents to Go and Quickoffice can load documents create in Google Docs.

I use Docs to Go because it handles the Microsoft Office format better and the app is Universal (Works on both and iPhone and iPad). The Quickoffice has seperate versions.

Also, Docs2Go has the best compatibility with the keyboard dock, so crazy things like using the arrow keys to move around in a document actually work!

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Docs2Go for my iPhone, iWork for iPad. I've yet to try Doc2Go on my iPad, although I here good things. My biggest concern with Docs2GO was recently bought by RIM, which makes me concerned about the future of it(I know the full app DataViz was supposed to put out for WebOS has been canceled)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.