Pages will not open MS Word document

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nctalkinghead, Jun 6, 2008.

1. nctalkinghead macrumors member

I've searched and can't find an answer to this one, so here's hoping someone can help this newb!

I want to open an MS Word document that is in my Windows partition and has been saved as a Word 2003 document (.doc). I open Pages and select OPEN, then go to the directory where the document is. The file name is not "grayed" out, so I assume I can open it. However, when I click it, the message appears that the xxxx.doc file cannot be opened. I can successfully open it in TextEdit, just not in Pages to keep its formatting.

One note...the inspector panel tells me the file is a read only. I have not restricted it in MS Word - at least I don't think I have - so I'm a bit confused. Thanks for your help!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right-click on the file and "Get Info", then change your permissions to "Read & Write". Then open the file.

3. nctalkinghead thread starter macrumors member

pages won't open MS Word document

Please give me a bit more info.

the "get info" option shows me the file is read only, but doesn't give me an option of changing to read + write.

In the Windows Explorer, the file's attributes show as read + write - at least the read only box isn't checked.

Sorry for having the dumbs but thanks for your help.

4. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

have you actually tried moving the file to your Mac partition and opening it that way?

5. nctalkinghead thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for this suggestion! It works great! I have to highlight the file name, copy it, then paste into the folder on the Mac partition. If I try to drag and drop from one partition to the other it doesn't work.

6. yoavcs macrumors regular

Windows partitions on Macs are read-only if they are formatted NTFS (the default Windows XP and above file system). The Mac NTFS driver is read-only at this point.

That is why you couldn't disable the read-only bit, and had to copy the file to your Mac partition.

7. nctalkinghead thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all for your help and explanation. After 25 years in the PC world, I'm trying to learn and understand the Apple world. So far, I'm wondering what took my so long :confused:

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe