Paging MultiMedia and others currently waiting...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ludavico, Jul 3, 2007.

  1. ludavico macrumors newbie

    ludavico

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    Dixie
    #1
    I too am on the fence regarding the mac pro. I need as much horsepower as I can get, and have been eyeing the eight-headed MP since it was introduced. (I am a chemical engineer working the area of rigorous dynamic simulation).

    I have been reading with great interest the threads on buying now versus waiting, and would like to ask one simple question:

    In the best case scenario, how much different do you think the next iteration of the Mac Pro will be compared to the current Dual Quad 3.0 GHz version?

    In particular I am interested in your opinion on speed and bang/buck.

    As a reference point, I would rate the new version of the MacBook Pro to be a relatively minor upgrade.

    I understand anything at this point is speculation...

    BTW, hi-end graphics are not a primary concern for my work, but I really want to start fooling around with DV editing ( a la some of the the Apple Pro tools).

    Thanks.
     
  2. ludavico thread starter macrumors newbie

    ludavico

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    Dixie
    #2
    Waiting Game...

    Looks like now I am flipping back to the MBP (my HP laptop is dying...again, and it is no longer under warranty).

    So which one gets the update first, MP or MBP?

    tick...tock...
     
  3. SolidShadow macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    #3
    The only reason that I'm waiting till next week is on the off chance that the pro goes 8 core across the board which it probably won't.

    Regardless of current performance boosts, I figure more cores for the same price = more value for my dollar in the long run since programs will probably become more multi-threaded to take advantage of it in the future.

    I'm thinking beyond today because I don't purchase often and I figure, better safe than sorry. Plus what the hell I'm only waiting 1 month and I don't need Ritalin to keep my focus.

    That being said if nothing is updated, I'll buy anyway because I need a new machine and I'm not willing to wait for the new imac. I prefer expandability anyway.
     
  4. SolidShadow macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    #4
    OOps and to answer your question.
    In my opinion, if you're considering a octo mac pro and you don't really care about the graphics card it wouldn't hurt you at all to buy now.

    I would like an octo but I don't want to pay the current price for one hence my wait to see what happens with the Intel price drop if anything.
    If not whatever. 4 cores would be enough for my design I'm sure.
     
  5. ziwi macrumors 65816

    ziwi

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Right back where I started...
    #5
    The MacBook Pro was just updated. What can you gain by waiting? I think as far as Ghz is concerned - not a whole lot. Cores? MOre value is a possibility as the prices are going down, but one of the big ones is heat IMO. I believe the octo's chips are 150w and the projections for the next rev should come in much more efficient. Who knows if Intel will be sticking with the FBDIMM in the future as well - it almost seems as if with the new chips just announced that the Pro may not need the xeons to be powerful, but others more knowlegable than I can debate that.

    I am in the same boat waiting and I just sold my G5 for a good price so I am Mac-less in the meantime and hopeful that something changes within a month or 2.
     
  6. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #6
    The most probable based on a number of factors is that Apple will give the line a slight revision to bring it in to line with other manufacturers shortly after the July 29th Xeon price cuts. While this assumes many things, the two biggest being that Apple care about being competative against other workstation vendors and that other vendors revise their lines against the new pricing, it's well within the realm of possibility.

    Processor wise this could mean something like an 8 core 2.66GHz $2,500 machine and a 3Ghz option for probably more than $800 but less than today's price. Other things might be 2GB RAM as standard and a new range of graphic card options, perhaps a DX10 base card (8300GT) and a 2900XT or 8800 series high end consumer card and an FX 4600 replacement for the current Quadro FX 4500 card. Now these are just my assumptions (based on history, other vendors, pricing, and other things I have observed) and I've seen others think the same way. With Apple we won't know anything for certain until they are out. If you are looking for a Mac Pro to last you several years and have to manage your money then it would be wise to wait a month or so if you can and see what Apple do.
     
  7. ludavico thread starter macrumors newbie

    ludavico

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    Dixie
    #7
    Steady, steady....

    Starting the slow twitch now.

    Aye. :cool:

    Thanks all.
     

Share This Page