Paid apps for free (Cracked)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sergiuria, Nov 8, 2008.

1. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

How is it possible for people to do this? Why havent apple and the developers sued the living hell out of them?! I saw a video on Youtube, and you could easily download paid apps, completely free just by having your phone jailbroken. Its incredible what some people to with the hard work of others :mad:

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Are these the actual apps or similar ones with the same function?

My guess is that most of the crap in the app store isn't copyrighted anyway so I really don't think it makes a difference. Except that it's dishonest. But I've seen people do MUCH worse to save a buck.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I don't think it can still be done. It was only on 2.0

4. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

it can.

5. gazzer82 macrumors regular

It can indeed, requires a patched mobile application framework, hacked apps can then be added via itunes.

However in my experience it make your iphone rather unstable!!

6. Barney9304 macrumors newbie

Same as a normal Iphone then!

No I am not a troll, I do have an iphone and am pissed of by it. I tell everyone I can what a rip off it is, numerous emails sent to apple, started of polite and then deteriorated I am afraid. Me is total crap and I can no longer trust it updating any calendars or contacts and to top it all, all my contacts have just had all the contact details erased, names still there just all the important stuff. Apple have gone down the toilet and I hope they stay there. Tossers!

7. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Write an app and it is automatically copyrighted. Stop ripping off the hard work of programmers.

It helps to register it, but not necessary; http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter0/0-f.html

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If I were you, I'd spend less time complaining to Apple about what probably was user error, and more time trying to fix the issue. Whining won't solve anything...

But to the OP, I've seen this in Youtube videos as well, but if there is an update to the app, you need to manually update the app. I'd rather buy it.

9. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I have a Jailbroken iPhone and have made it a point to only download apps that are specifically for Jailbroken phones (meaning they are meant to be free). If I want an app from the app store then I make it a point to pay for it. It's not worth saving 2 bucks or whatever to rip some developer off for his or her hard work.

10. firewood macrumors 604

Under U.S. law, everything in the app store is copyrighted, unless really really old (the text of some ebooks written a century ago), or unless very explicitly disclaimed (hard to do correctly, IIRC).

Even most open source stuff is strongly copyrighted.

11. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Just like with warez sites, it's a game of cat and mouse.

They get shut down, and they pop up the next day, on another server.

Also, many of them are hosted offshore, where the government doesn't care.

12. one1 macrumors 65816

I've had a jailbroken iPhone since the very first hack into 1.0 and never have I lost any information or had to restore. Me thinks people jailbreaking need to know how to do it right instead of complaining to other people about their own short comings.

A large percentage of iPhone owners are windows users that barely get by on clicking the green start button, much less modding a unix/linux operating system. The windows guys that DO know what they are doing aren't experiencing problems, but unfortunately that is few and far between as most use windows for a reason..... they don't know linux/unix. They buy a phone, try to hack it, screw it up, .........complain to someone else about how THEY screwed the phone up, no.... not the person doing it, the person who invented the jailbreak that works for the other 98% of people that can pull it off without a hitch. That's the problem right there. Congratulations, you've figured it out! ;)

Theese are the same guys trying to stick 1.1.1 apps on a 2.0 :apple: OS. :rolleyes: It's bad enough to not know the operating system, it's worse to see people SSH'ing RSBT 1.0 into a 2.1 FW (I swear...... I've seen it happen)

Jailbroken apps work fine with no problems. Cracked apps are nothing different from app store apps, they just have the DRM forced to accept any user so they'd work as APPLE intended them to (ironically). Poetic justice though if you steal an app and your phone crashes.... can't help but love it. I use paid apps and jailbroken apps. I have no need for cracked ones as mine are bought, but no different than the guy next to me that stole his.

13. iblastoff macrumors 6502

what kind of lame subjective logic is that? users choose windows because they don't know unix/linux??? idiotic.

14. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I have cracked apps on my jailbroken iPhone 3G 2.1 FW. I only jailbreak for three reasons:

1. Cracked apps
    2. Snapture (camera zoom, effects, timer)
    3. Cycorder (video recording)

It's definitely worth the hassle IMO. I only use cracked apps that were developed by big developers (Bejewled, CBNK.)