Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Hey guys, so yesterday I decided to take the plunge and jailbreak my iPhone 3GS running 4.2.1. I used a stable version (RC6?) of Greenpoison and within minutes I had Cydia up and running. I also decided to download TetherMe which I was really excited about. So I linked Cydia to my gmail, paid with my PayPal account, which I still have the receipt saved, and hit the blue Install in the top right corner of the TetherMe cydia page. It went for about 10 seconds on the usual install "black screen with white letters" and then my WiFi dropped, as well as any internet connection. So I'm assuming the installation was dropped as well. So I went back, hit Modify, then reinstall, and when installing, at the SAME point, the same issue happened (WiFi connectivity dropped, installation failed). Tried the same thing on 3G, same outcome.
And what's worse now, I can't even find the program anymore via Search. Typing in TetherMe gives me nothing. In the Manage Account of Cydia, I go to Installable Purchases, and it says TetherMe but when I click on it, I get the NOTE: CANNOT LOCATE PACKAGE. Im stumped here, and really want this to work. I don't want my money back, I would gladly pay to have this working. So any advice out there, as I don't even know how to contact the developer because I can't search it on Cydia. Thanks guys

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
UPDATE: So I tried manually refreshing my Packages/Sources and now I got it! Thanks guys, I also didn't realize this wasn't an actual "application" but rather just enabled the Tethering Option in the General, Network panel. Wow, so I'm connected via Bluetooth to my MacBook Air and speeds are surprisingly good. Didn't realize I couldn't go Bluetooth iPhone to iPad (duh), but hoping that one day I will be able to with a WiFi feature. Oh well, still for 2 bucks this thing is great, and I haven't even tried USB, which I would assume would be even faster data speeds.

huskerchad

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Don't quote me on the package name, but I believe iTether allows you to use bluetooth tethering FROM a device. So,

TetherMe on iPhone: shares its data connection over bluetooth
iTether on iPad: allows it to be a consumer of said shared connection

I have not used iTether. The downside of course is that you have to jailbreak both devices.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Just wait. On 4.3 (4.2.6 on Verizon), TetherMe enables the native WiFi hotspot.

clonedmj

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
Blazer

So how did you fix the tetherme issues? I'm having the same problem where it gets stuck and i lost all my cydia sources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.