Paid Full Price, Apple Stating to Renew Contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HelloMikee, Sep 18, 2014.

1. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I'm confused about this, I was so delirious when ordering I didn't really pay attention.

I paid for my iPhone outright (full price) because I'm not due for an upgrade until 2015. I could have done an early upgrade later this year but I'm getting enough for my 5s that I didn't want to wait a month.

If I'm still on my current contract and buying a phone at full price, why is Apple stating a 2 year contract agreement along with a $40 upgrade fee when I didn't upgrade?

I chatted with an AT&T rep who said that shouldn't be the case but couldn't really provide anymore information.

Just wanted to see if anyone had insight on this as I've never preordered nor bought a phone at full price before.

[​IMG]

2. lovelybai macrumors member

How could you pay full price online? There is no such options.
    I guess it is still contract price but you are not eligible to upgrade so the price goes up.

You could try to see if they could change it in store

3. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

Didn't have an upgrade and purchased my phone at full price and I go the same message/text when I ordered mine. I was just going wait till my bill comes out and deal with AT&T then.

4. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

I bought full price with sprint and mine says the same thing as well, no idea why.

Attached Files:

5. ckd38 macrumors newbie

I had the same situation here on the Apple Store site with Verizon - I am ignoring it for now. On my account, so far it shows that I haven't renewed a contract or paid the upgrade fee. Better still be the case when I get my bill.

Did anyone get an answer from Apple or their carrier?

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Same boat as you. I'm assuming it just shows the information for your line, not stating that it's renewing all of that.

If it does in fact renew, it shouldn't be any huge deal to have it un-done. We paid full price for the phone, no chance in hell are we paying full price and renewing out contracts (especially since I wasn't eligible for an upgrade until January of 2016 anyways).

7. manhattanmania macrumors regular

same exact thing for me, plan on clarifying tomorrow at the apple store while picking up my phone and/or arguing with AT&T afterward if necessary

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Did anyone get clarification for this?

I'm mid-way through my 2 year contract on Verizon. Pre-ordered the phone outright. Picked it up this morning, and had to sign something about the ETF, and was charged a $40 upgrade fee.

Does this sound right? The guy at the store couldn't tell if it was renewing my contract or not, but it shouldn't as I was not eligible for an upgrade and am not for another year and 3 months.