Paid Hosting opinions.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by wheelhot, Feb 13, 2009.

1. wheelhot macrumors 68010

Hye,
    Well Im about to host 2 website, 1 is mine and the other one is my friend, actually we are moving from our previous host to a new one (mine is free but heck I dun trust free, hers is paid but the person who take care of her hosting part seem duwan to do it anymore).

I searched the net and I came with this.
    fatcow
    hostmonster

What do you guys think of the 2 above site? Which one should I pick and anyone with personal experience with any of them? And why don't any of them offer a 1 year pay all package?

Oh yea, and is it true that I BlueHost isn't that great of a host? I heard their CS was poor.

Some extra info, currently we will use that host to host our blog but I might use it for some other stuffs in the future.

2. bobbyrockets11 macrumors newbie

I have heard bad things about php support for hostmonster, don;t know about fat cow.

Can vouch for hostgator though. I'm using their shared to host around 10 sites with smooth sailing. [​IMG]

3. manadospace macrumors newbie

hostgator is good, but not all like hostgator, is depend to you, which one the best, visit forum hosting for more info is the best, or asking there

4. Vanilla Cocoa macrumors member

I like MediaTemple's grid hosting. Some haven't had good experiences with it, at least in the past, but it seems to be a very stable platform now.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

A Small Orange* always gets my vote, and many others around here will also sing their praises. Their support is very good, and importantly quick too!

*if you do go with them using that link to do so would be appreciated. It's a referal, saves me a few $ on my next bill :)

6. memco macrumors 6502

I used to host with fatcow, but their plans were overpriced compared to what I've found elsewhere. They had good support, but that didn't seem worth the higher cost for more limited hosting (this was more than five years ago).

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm a big fan of SiteGround.com, they've been good to me and have kept my sites running for many years now with no problems.

jW

8. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I've never heard of the two you mentioned. If you google it I'm sure you'll find a hosting review site that will offer some good feedback. Also check with the BBB if you're serious.

DON'T use iPowerWeb. Customer Service sucks big time.

DO check out Eleven2.com. Cheap cheap, friendly service.

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I've been happy with Dreamhost for the past few years. They're pretty irreverent and refreshingly honest, and the service has been pretty much spotless. They've had some issues, of course, but they're up front about it and fix things fairly quick.

Use the promo code I made, CHERITH, and you'll get $50 off your web hosting bill, and the children's summer camp (charity) I volunteer with will receive a $47 credit toward our bill.

10. Fiasco macrumors regular

Fiasco

I host with godaddy. I have my domains with them and after trying out a few other hosts, I ended up going back to godaddy. I have their Deluxe hosting plan and I host all my domains as well as a few friends' sites under my plan also. I really like it.

11. lmfao macrumors newbie

I never used hostmonster. I used fatcow a long time ago and I had a problem with them trying to bill my credit card after I let them know that I was letting my site expire. One call and it was cleared up quickly but I never used them again. I've used ICDsoft for years and never had a problem with them and their customer service is quick to respond so I highly recommend them.

Some people here seem to like ASmallOrange. I'm putting together a small website and their "tiny" $25 a year option might be too good for me to pass up.

12. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I've been using Hostmonster for the last three years. I've never had a problem with them.

However, I'm about to switch to http://www.webhostingpad.com. They have the same services as HM, but cheaper - $3/month. Reviews are quite good also.

13. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Dream Host is having a promotion...a full year of hosting for only $9.47!

The offer expires Today, so sign up now, it's very low risk for under $10

I was looking for a host, and this made my decision a no-brainer

Use '777' As your promotion code, and it literally takes off $110 for a year of hosting. :)

14. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

dream host is a bit overloaded..but if you want cheap, you get what you pay for :).

Now if you want something nice, not overloaded you can check out vivicalhosting.com :cool: I can set you up with a free domain for the year as well.

15. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I've used 1&1 several times for virtual private servers (VPS).

You'll hear horror stories about them but I've never had problems. Even the few times that I've called CS it was pretty decent.

Of course, I like a host that is more hands off. I usually know what I'm doing and I generally want as little "help" from them as possible.

My one gripe was that one of my servers was getting DDOS'ed, and they weren't really receptive to doing anything to intervene. I had to teach myself ipchains and fix it myself. NBD

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

17. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Another vote for A Small Orange here. Excellent email support and have always addressed any issues that I've had.

18. buzzbee macrumors newbie

Just looking into this for a friend who wants to build his own web server and host his own little personal site for a friend.

I use http://www.totalchoice.com

Their $4 a month plan works for me. Good, fast, friendly support and CPanel tools does all I need it to do.