Paid More For My 2016 15 inch MBP TBar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EmkwanTV, Dec 11, 2016.

1. EmkwanTV macrumors member

EmkwanTV

Hi guys!

I've just picked up a 2016 MBP 15" Touch Bar Fully specd 2.9 i7, Radeon 460 w 4GB RAM and with 1TB storage from a physical Apple Store here in the UAE.

Desperatly need one as my 2008 MBP is dying on me and needed a Mac ASAP for my YouTube and editing work. I walked into the Apple Store and was told I got lucky. Only one unit arrived and it happened to be a little more specd out then I was hoping for. I've used my access to discount (government sector here in UAE) and paid 13770 dirhams for the unit + dongle + Apple care that's around £2982 / $3749.

Now what I need to know is has going with the over specs been a good decision? Was considering returning and trying my luck with the 512GB / 2.7ghz / Radeon 455 which for my work feels like it's good enough.

The most intensive app I use is FCPX for my YouTube and client work.

Given the Mac is not upgradable, but given the extra I paid was it overkill for my work requirements?

I'm not able to order online as I'm traveling for the next 4 weeks and need the Mac while traveling for projects.

Value any feedback / thoughts.

2. UltraDogg macrumors newbie

Hey did u get it from the Apple Store in Dubai or Abu Dhabi? I was planning on going to the Apple Store in Dubai today to see if they had any 15" models left, but if you bought the last one then there's no reason for me to go.

3. EmkwanTV thread starter macrumors member

EmkwanTV

In Abu Dhabi. You've got to be really early and get them to go out back to check delivery around 10am is good time.

4. UltraDogg macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'll go tomorrow morning and hopefully they will have it in stock. Enjoy your MacBook Pro!

5. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Reading between the lines, I have the feeling that indeed this machine is a bit overkill for your work requirements.

However, now you're getting into a gray area -- it's for work. You're saying your old work machine was on the verge of crapping out. Now I don't know about you, but if my work machine dies and I have to skip one day of work, I have lost a lot of money.

Same goes for that machine. You were able to get one at discount, and these costs are business costs that are made once every 3-5 years. You could go back to the store, swap it in for another one, spend the time installing your stuff, etc. But in the end, it's probably more wise to spend that time on work.

On the other hand, if your earnings aren't all that great and if, say, $500 makes a difference at the end of the month -- return it.

6. maroulis macrumors member

good to meet fellows from UAE :) I have an office in AD and spend quite a lot of time back and forth (Dallas). In fact I just got back 2 days ago.

7. EmkwanTV, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017

EmkwanTV thread starter macrumors member

EmkwanTV

Thank you for the points. :-D Having used the device for the last 24 hours I can see the difference and feel its a worthy upgrade. now I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get maximum battery life out of it lol