Paid Off Sprint iPhone 6s - is it automatically unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JulesJam, Dec 22, 2015.

1. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

I purchased a Sprint iPhone 6s on easy pay and paid it off immediately. I can put a Verizon SIM card in it and it works on Verizon - no invalid SIM card message.

It is completely unlocked because I paid it off, correct? There is nothing more for me to do, correct?

2. wolfedude88 macrumors regular

wolfedude88

I think they might do it after the next bill cycle. But I would just call them and have it unlocked yourself

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you are able to use a different carrier by inserting a different SIM, then yes, you are unlocked. A DSU was issued to your phone.

If you were still locked you would not be able to use a different SIM. No further action is necessary at this point.

4. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I don't know how it is with Sprint. But, with AT&T, you have to contact customer service after you've paid the phone off and request it to be unlocked. Just paying off the phone isn't enough because AT&T would rather keep the phone locked to its network if possible. The good news is the process takes just a few minutes after you request it.

5. JulesJam thread starter macrumors 68020

JulesJam

OK great!

6. JulesJam thread starter macrumors 68020

JulesJam

I think it is different with Sprint, I think they do it automatically at least with the iPhone 6 and above.

7. JulesJam thread starter macrumors 68020

JulesJam

I did call and the rep was clueless. He didn't know anything at all about the new unlocking policy and said I had to put a different phone on the line before it could be unlocked.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^Correct. As long as the phone has been paid off. If there is an issue it may be just how soon the DSU is issued after full payment.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah. Sprint reps are still pretty ignorant about SIM cards. They've had a few years and they still can't get it right.

You'll also be told you have to restore. BS. Just insert the new SIM. A restore is only if you have no SIM card available. Even then it's not necessary. The phone's IMEI is in the unlock database and failing to restore or insert a different SIM can't change that.