Paid Software Recommendation Needed for new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigmacman, Aug 4, 2010.

1. bigmacman macrumors member

bigmacman

I have been using my G5 iMac for five years, and haven't installed any new software for the last couple of years. Since I am getting the new refreshed iMac today, I would like your recommendation on paid software that I should get in categories such as productivity, anti-virus, photo editing, video editing, etc.

Thanks for your help in advance :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

"Paid" software? Do you mean as opposed to free software? Or are you offering to pay for software recommendations? :D
    None needed. Mac Virus/Malware Info

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

3. bigmacman thread starter macrumors member

bigmacman

Haha, nope :D I mean software to purchase instead of freeware, since there is a thread on recommended freeware already. E.g. What would you recommend Aperture vs Photoshop, iWork vs. MS Office, Fusion vs. Parallel Desktops?

4. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

Aperture is nice, but I would recommend you download it and try it out. Personally I prefer Lightroom 3 over Aperture (photoshop is more powerful than either and is really not the same kind of tool).

iWork is fine (Keynote being particularly well regarded) as long as you aren't expecting perfect compatibility with Office documents. Since I work in an office running primarily Windows based software I us MS Office for Mac (wait for 2011 to come out later this year).

Parallels Desktop 5 is, from both my experience and everything I have read, much better than Fusion.

5. bigmacman thread starter macrumors member

bigmacman

Thanks for your suggestions. For video editing, is Final Cut Studio the best choice?

6. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

My few...

Things (to do app) from cultured code
    SuperDuper!

And the BEST most USEFUL app EVER...

1Password!!

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Hold out for the next MacUpdate bundle and see what's in there....usually you get 7 or 8 titles...with two "good" ones...for the price you'd pay for one of the "good" packages.