Paid Upgrade Replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thirdykal, Jul 31, 2012.

1. thirdykal macrumors member

Hey guys,

So my Macbook is being replaced (3 major repairs in the last month, and it still hasn't fixed the freezing), and I just had an idea. I know before they offered paid upgrades for replacement machines, for example if you had a white Macbook and it was to be replaced, you could pay another $600 extra, and get a 15" Macbook Pro instead.

Now that I have the 15", and it is to be replaced, do you think it would be too much to ask for a paid upgrade to a rMBP?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your best bet is to ask Apple, not us. It doesn't hurt to ask and only Apple can answer that for you.

3. thirdykal thread starter macrumors member

True, I was just hoping someone would be in the same or a similar boat and be able to offer insight.

4. angrydog macrumors member

angrydog

During replacement you can request a higher valued model but you will have to pay the difference. I went through this and I had to pay the extra $100 for the high-res screen and also NO discount's (i.e. student, employer & etc.) can be applied. I could have upgraded to the 17 inch (this was back in May 2012) for $400.

5. thirdykal thread starter macrumors member

So if you could do a paid upgrade from a 15" to a 17", or a white Macbook to a 15" Macbook Pro, a paid upgrade from a 2011 15" to a rMBP shouldn't be an issue right?

6. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Funnily, I just went through this.

The agent I spoke to, Sylvia, refused to let me upgrade to the Retina MacBook Pro, even though I had a reasonably high-speced model that cost about as much.

She claimed that I had "been through a lot", and needed a computer as fast as possible. She also stated that because this was a "new model" that "didn't exist" when I bought my MacBook Pro", there was no way she could do the upgrade.

As of now, I'm trying to exchange it in store. Wish me luck. :)

If you want more information, feel free to PM me.

7. thirdykal thread starter macrumors member

Interesting.. I'm even willing to spec out a rMBP so they can put some money in their pockets, maybe they'll be more willing?

8. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I was as well. No dice.

Maybe I just got an uncooperative representative.

9. angrydog macrumors member

angrydog

The representative I had put me on hold to talk to his boss then came back to me and told me I can upgrade across to any of the Macbook Pro lines but I just had to pay the difference. Also this happened mid-May of this year before the rMBP launch. So since the rMBP is in high demand right now; they might not be willing to do paid upgrades to the Retina lineup.