Paid Upgrade Replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thirdykal, Jul 31, 2012.

  1. thirdykal macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #1
    Hey guys,

    So my Macbook is being replaced (3 major repairs in the last month, and it still hasn't fixed the freezing), and I just had an idea. I know before they offered paid upgrades for replacement machines, for example if you had a white Macbook and it was to be replaced, you could pay another $600 extra, and get a 15" Macbook Pro instead.

    Now that I have the 15", and it is to be replaced, do you think it would be too much to ask for a paid upgrade to a rMBP?
     
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #2
    Your best bet is to ask Apple, not us. It doesn't hurt to ask and only Apple can answer that for you.
     
  3. thirdykal thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #3
    True, I was just hoping someone would be in the same or a similar boat and be able to offer insight.
     
  4. angrydog macrumors member

    angrydog

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2009
    #4
    During replacement you can request a higher valued model but you will have to pay the difference. I went through this and I had to pay the extra $100 for the high-res screen and also NO discount's (i.e. student, employer & etc.) can be applied. I could have upgraded to the 17 inch (this was back in May 2012) for $400.
     
  5. thirdykal thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #5
    So if you could do a paid upgrade from a 15" to a 17", or a white Macbook to a 15" Macbook Pro, a paid upgrade from a 2011 15" to a rMBP shouldn't be an issue right?
     
  6. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

    dvdhsu

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2008
    Location:
    Palo Alto, CA
    #6
    Funnily, I just went through this.

    The agent I spoke to, Sylvia, refused to let me upgrade to the Retina MacBook Pro, even though I had a reasonably high-speced model that cost about as much.

    She claimed that I had "been through a lot", and needed a computer as fast as possible. She also stated that because this was a "new model" that "didn't exist" when I bought my MacBook Pro", there was no way she could do the upgrade.

    As of now, I'm trying to exchange it in store. Wish me luck. :)

    If you want more information, feel free to PM me.
     
  7. thirdykal thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #7
    Interesting.. I'm even willing to spec out a rMBP so they can put some money in their pockets, maybe they'll be more willing?
     
  8. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

    dvdhsu

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2008
    Location:
    Palo Alto, CA
    #8
    I was as well. No dice.

    Maybe I just got an uncooperative representative.
     
  9. angrydog macrumors member

    angrydog

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2009
    #9
    The representative I had put me on hold to talk to his boss then came back to me and told me I can upgrade across to any of the Macbook Pro lines but I just had to pay the difference. Also this happened mid-May of this year before the rMBP launch. So since the rMBP is in high demand right now; they might not be willing to do paid upgrades to the Retina lineup.
     

Share This Page