Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbookhamburg

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Palringo FTW!

Palringo is a free IM client I use for my AIM, MSN, Yahoo & Facebook chatting. They have both a desktop and a iPhone app. Although at home on my Mac I use Adium. Is BeejiveIM that much of a better app than Palringo?

I guess it depends if you use skype too because as far as my knowledge goes palringo does not support skype

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
...it's on sale this week for 9.99 (vs the 15.99 original). It's worth the money.

Screw the capitalist pigs at AOL.

Yes! Stick it to the man! Instead, give your money to the capitalist pigs at Beejive! :rolleyes:

The irony in this post is thick enough to cut with a knife.

southernpaws

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Appeal to emotion and thus an invalid argument. Give me a valuable app and I'll throw the dev $$$ by the fistfull. I fail to see how ads generate that much revenue. If an app has ads...ANY ads...neither the dev nor the ad companies will get a penny from me and, more importantly, I'll never recommend the app to anyone. It's bad enough that the Web has become polluted with obnoxious ads (there's no other kind) but I refuse to tolerate it on my personal iPhone.

Appeal to emotion doesn't invalidate his argument, just turns you off to it. but the core of the argument is that a developer should be compensated for his work, whether directly by the consumer or indirectly by ad companies.

While everyone hates ads, it's easier for some people to ignore. So you're kind of in a minority that makes ads a complete hangup. Also, if you indeed throw fistfuls of dollars at valuable apps, you are again a minority. Plenty of people say they will pay good money for a good app, but the fact is they don't.

At the end of the day, more people will download the free AIM rather than the paid one.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
The ICQ application is exactly the same as AIM except for its green theme. The only thing is that ICQ is free and doesn't have any ads. You can still log in with your AIM screenname, as it is all the same network now.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Appeal to emotion and thus an invalid argument. Give me a valuable app and I'll throw the dev $$$ by the fistfull. I fail to see how ads generate that much revenue.

They can generate a LOT of revenue for a popular app. (A lot more than zero!) And if YOU will pay "$$$ by the fistfull" to developers of quality apps, many OTHER people won't. Developers can't feed themselves off of people like you alone, so there IS room in the market for BOTH ad-support and paid apps.

You and I would both LIKE to live in a world where nothing was paid for by ads, and our favorite web sites and TV shows could keep on going without them. But that's simply not reality. Take away all ads and you'd take away a lot of what those ads pay for.

You prefer paid apps, which I understand completely--but many OTHER people prefer ad-supported, which is where I lean myself, as long as the ads are small. I use lots of excellent ad-supported free apps, including Pandora, Shazam, a number of games, and yes, AIM. Plenty of others I pay for directly, and gladly.

So why not offer people the choice? That's what AIM has done here--and since the early problems with AIM on iPhone seem to be gone, I think it's a worthy app whichever way you choose. Other messenger apps have their benefits too, of course.

I also don't have a problem with downloading a free app that later gets ads. The developer made me no promises (certainly not a promise to develop for free forever) and I paid them no money. Should I ask for a refund :rolleyes:

I wish all apps were ad free, and cost nothing... and in fact paid me $50 a day to use them. I wish all developers worked for me expecting nothing in return.

Failing that, I'll take good apps, in whatever way the developer chooses to be paid for them--and I'm free to take it or leave it.

leandromp

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Hell no. I wont pay not even 99 cents for this app.
Better get Beejive and is 100 times better and supports more stuff and better interface.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
I don't mind paying for the app without ads, but I would certainly be happier when Apple gets push for apps so that when I am traveling I can get AIM messages without actually being logged into the application.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
The ICQ application is exactly the same as AIM except for its green theme. The only thing is that ICQ is free and doesn't have any ads. You can still log in with your AIM screenname, as it is all the same network now.

Except most people, especially in the states do not use ICQ anymore.

macusernick

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
home
Wow... really?

As opposed to saying screw the liberal fascist pigs who want to steal other people's money and give it to another group. Typical liberal pig, always having their hand out. :p
I love the phrase "liberal fascist pigs" that is a real bushism right there if I ever heard one. I'm not a genius here or anything, but wouldn't a liberal fascist kinda be an oxymoron? It would be like calling someone who is in favor of personal freedom a dictator. hmmm....

Out of interest which one ?
If I'm not mistaken he is talking about the Android G1 from T-Mobile.

When will Apple just release iChat for the iPhone?
Oh we have a winner here. Everyone is making such a big fuss about beehive and aim and whatever that they forget that apple has iChat. While iChat doesn't support every service it is integrated fully in the system and it is stupid for apple to have left it out. My guess is that apple will release it when they get background notification support... just a guess though.

// end of post

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
When will Apple just release iChat for the iPhone?

Oh we have a winner here. Everyone is making such a big fuss about beehive and aim and whatever that they forget that apple has iChat. While iChat doesn't support every service it is integrated fully in the system and it is stupid for apple to have left it out.

On which planet do you believe ATT would allow Apple to bypass virtually any need for SMS messaging by shipping the phone with an instant messenger? Right now AIM, ICQ, touchTXT, and countless apps allow for this to happen by sending text messages to contacts in the address book. For allowing the use of the iTunes Music Store on the iPhone and not the crippled or clunky ATT music purchase system, I am sure some concessions had to be made.

The iPhone is Apple hardware and software, but the network is made possible by ATT. Apple doesn't have free reign over use of the ATT network. And no, at this point you can't complain that Apple is stuck on ATT and they should go to other networks and blah blah. We already know that Verizon didn't want Apple to have their own iTunes Music Store on the phones. You also have to realize that technologies such as visual voicemail are made possible by the Apple/ATT relationship.

The IM functionality is on the iPhone with free downloads from the App Store. But I am sure contractual agreements prevent Apple from releasing their own IM client.

derryquinn

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
On which planet do you believe ATT would allow Apple to bypass virtually any need for SMS messaging by shipping the phone with an instant messenger? Right now AIM, ICQ, touchTXT, and countless apps allow for this to happen by sending text messages to contacts in the address book. For allowing the use of the iTunes Music Store on the iPhone and not the crippled or clunky ATT music purchase system, I am sure some concessions had to be made.

The iPhone is Apple hardware and software, but the network is made possible by ATT. Apple doesn't have free reign over use of the ATT network. And no, at this point you can't complain that Apple is stuck on ATT and they should go to other networks and blah blah. We already know that Verizon didn't want Apple to have their own iTunes Music Store on the phones. You also have to realize that technologies such as visual voicemail are made possible by the Apple/ATT relationship.

The IM functionality is on the iPhone with free downloads from the App Store. But I am sure contractual agreements prevent Apple from releasing their own IM client.

Actually, I thought about this after I read your post, and I severely doubt it.

For one, the face that "Right now AIM, ICQ, touchTXT, and countless apps allow for this to happen by sending text messages to contacts in the address book." is simply untrue, but the main reason I think this isn't the case is that, when you look at it, and I'm not trying to be a fanboy here...

AT&T don't want to lose the iPhone

They've let iTMS slide, they've let WebText enabling Apps slide because of the App Store, they've let lots of thing go to have such a consumer-oulling device.

And that will not change anytime soon.

Anyway, even if there was a contractual agreement, it could be changed. A certain mr Jobs can be very persuasive (See: Death of DRM)

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Except most people, especially in the states do not use ICQ anymore.

That's not exactly an issue. ICQ and AIM are both owned by AOL, and run on the same network. Just login with your AIM credentials in the ICQ application. It's the EXACT same application, just a different name and color scheme. It's marketed towards ICQ users, but you still login with your AIM account.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
For one, the face that "Right now AIM, ICQ, touchTXT, and countless apps allow for this to happen by sending text messages to contacts in the address book." is simply untrue

I'm not entirely sure why you labeled my statement as false. I currently use touchTXT on my iPod touch to text message friends on their phones. The paid version of AIM also allows for this functionality. It can be done; I do it every day.

Anyway, even if there was a contractual agreement, it could be changed. A certain mr Jobs can be very persuasive (See: Death of DRM)

Currently there just isn't much motivation for Apple to create an iChat client. They are in a partnership with ATT, not a struggle. ATT provides the texting services, and Apple willfully agrees not to compete with ATT services by creating a free alternative. The iTMS was a sticking point, and Apple had some weight to throw around and get it their way. Apple wouldn't drop ATT because they can't make an IM client. Apple made iChat in the first place because other clients on the Mac just weren't that great. AIM and others fill the niche perfectly on the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.