Paid vs ad supported?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by chainprayer, May 9, 2010.

1. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

Do you see more revenue in paid or free ad supported apps? Do you see more revenue if you do one vs having both available? I'm considering both for my next app and don't know which would be best for me.

Thanks for your insight!

2. Avizzv92 macrumors regular

I released the full version of my app back in January for $.99 a few weeks ago I released a Lite version (ad supported) of my app. As of now I'm not receiving any substantial revenue from ads in my Lite version, if anything it's sort of hurting sales and if it doesn't turn around I may remove it at end of the month. This is just my personal experience and it may be different for full free versions supported by ads compared to that of Lite version. Also it will deferentially vary from one app to another and the type of app it is.

The app I'm planning, after I finish my current one, I'm going to experiment with making it a full free version with ad support and see how that goes.

3. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You'll also see a large amount of ad revenue shortly after 4.0 is released, the reason being a lot of people will want to try out the "new ad" structure. This is all speculation on my part which may not take place.

4. firewood macrumors 604

If you can get on any of the top paid lists, that's usually where most of the revenue is located. If you can't get on a top paid list, but can get near the very top of the top free lists, there a decent income in ad revenue. If you can't get on either top lists (paid or free), then there's very little money in ad revenue, so you might as well go with a paid app. If you do both, your paid app better have a strongly compelling reason for customers to upgrade to it.

Only on the order of 0.2% of all apps are currently on the U.S. top 100 lists.

imho.