Pain in wrist after using maps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ElysiumY2K, Oct 9, 2015.

1. ElysiumY2K macrumors member

ElysiumY2K

Ok today I drove to London and used Apple Maps on my iPhone to go somewhere. Also found out that when turning my Apple Watch would vibrate to warn me when to turn. Which was great and cool lol

At first it was ok feeling the haptic vibrations every now and then, but after 10-20 mins in I felt a small sharp pain on my left wrist and it started to become little numb (like when you got a little electric shock from a cable or something). I shrugged it off at first but after 20 minutes of getting the vibration from turns, I proceeded to park my car and the pain suddenly was unbearable to the point I had to take off the Apple Watch and then park my car.

I've been wearing the watch for about 2 week now and it has been fine receiving notifications etc. It was just today that the haptic vibration was being used a lot in a short span of a time.

Right now my left wrist is in a bit of pain and cannot clench my fist. I get a sharp pain that runs along my wrist and forearm.

Has anyone else have this problem? Or I did just damage my wrist else and it's just a happy coincidence that it started to hurt when using the Apple Watch?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Sounds like it's the rotating of the wrist with the elbow up that strained it.

3. MrTazz macrumors member

MrTazz

Yes that sounds about right
    I've been to London for a short break and use the maps on iPhone and watch quite a lot to find diff places (walking) and have no issues at all.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Sounds like you may have a pinched nerve or some type of nerve damage that is exacerbated by pronounced pronation of the wrist (as JayLenochiniMac alluded to).

5. ElysiumY2K thread starter macrumors member

ElysiumY2K

Hmm yea maybe. It was just a weird coincidence when I was driving it just so happen to start hurting in the exact position of the watch.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Back in June, I had this weird pain in my left wrist near where I wear my Apple Watch. Not as bad as what you describe, but was bothersome. Wore the watch on my right wrist for a while until the pain went away, then put the watch back on my left wrist, and not having any problems so far. Hopefully, the watch isn't the cause of your pain, either, and you can go back to wearing the watch once the pain goes away.

7. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

This sounds like a first world problem to me.... pain in your wrist from using a watch to navigate... What are you, made out of glass ?

8. ElysiumY2K thread starter macrumors member

ElysiumY2K

What is your freaking problem? Is it hard to believe that maybe the watch could be damaging my wrist due to the weight/electric currents/etc?

I'm not bashing, ranting or being dick here. It was a genuine post relating to the Apple Watch but you have to go and insult me trying to be funny and sarcastic.

You're one of the people who ruin the community for others out of your own enjoyment. People like you don't deserve to be on this forum.

9. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

No man my intention wasn't to bash you. I'm legit concerned by the level of concern you have that the watch may actually be "damaging" you. It's a bit asinine, I don't deserve to think that you're a bit of a hypochondriac because you don't like it? My apologies , I'll refrain from interacting with posts that others deem my feed back unacceptable. I presumed when you posted the problem online you assumed you would get feedback?

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

To be honest yes. The culprit is most likely repetitive, unnatural motion in conjugation with a pinched nerve.

11. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

Best recommendation I can think of is to stop using the watch as the motion required to activate the screen seems to disagree with your wrist. It could be the repetitive motion required to activate the screen or exacerbating a previous injury but either way, your wrist doesn't seem to agree with the watch. Don't wait til the problem is chronic.

Get a nice windshield mount for your phone and use that instead.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

IMO, dismissing a person's health concerns as first world problem and being a hypochondriac isn't feedback. I have a weak constitution, a lot of activity that would be normal for other people tire me out, and I find your attitude offensive. OP shouldn't have to deal with dismissive attitude like yours, even if their concern about the watch turns out to be a false alarm.

13. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

Like I said, and others have said before me, and people will say after me. My comments may have been uncalled for to him, and yourself, but the sheer thought of saying that he's being injured by something with the force of a penny falling from 2 inches in the air on to your wrist is absolutely absurd. My comments were dismissing his claim that such a thing is possible, because in my opinion it's not possible. His opinion was that it was possible. I could understand if i was simply saying **** you're an idiot, but i'm not. I'm providing a valid insight to MY opinion. Lets take quick note of the word opinion. I'm sorry i don't agree with you, or him, that doesn't make his claim any less asinine, and it doesn't make mine any less valid.

However, i am extremely unbiased towards myself, and if either of you are offended, i apologize, that's honestly not my goal here. I'm simply providing feedback, on a thread that requested feedback.