Painfully good deal on an iPhone 5C - should I jump?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tjkwood, Jul 21, 2014.

1. tjkwood macrumors newbie

Hey all, I'm currently using a Moto G (perfectly adequate, if a bit underwhelming) and coming to the end of my contract period. Been offered a 16GB 5C (no upfront cost) on a 2 year contract for £23.99 a month (ultd text, ultd calls and 2GB 4G data). Obviously the September refresh is coming, but I'm rather in love with the plastic form factor and smaller screen size. So should I take it? we can assume the 5C will be left out of iOS 10 in 2016, but is there any other reason I should hesitate on signing up for 2 years? Cheers!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't want to get locked into a 2 year contract for what is considered an iPhone using legacy components. Don't get me wrong, I have a 5c, but I bought it full price so I can leave my options open come autumn.

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You can get a SIM only deal which matches what you have been offered for one year at £16. You are therefore paying £8 per month for the phone. If you are happy paying £200 for the phone over two years then go for it.

4. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

5. tjkwood thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point - I've been caught out more than once by going over my allowances, so I'm wanting something straightforward. Looking at it as a little graduation treat to myself :D

----------

That's fair enough.... I'm not a gamer or power user by any stretch, just Netflix and internet radio mainly. Plus my OH needs a phone, so the Moto will be passed on (save buying another upfront for £100+)

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

There is going to be a lot of hype surrounding the release of the iPhone 6. There will be multiple threads on this forum from people who bought iPhones just prior to the upgrade who will be scheming to get out of it. It's quite funny actually, as they often come up with these complex plans to mitigate/justify dumping a phone they bought a month ago to get another one.

If you don't care then go for it--but new upgrade or not I don't like the idea of a 2 year contract at this point.

7. tjkwood thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you make a very good point - I don't care. I find the 4.5 inch of the Moto G a bit too big, and I don't really care for the anodised form factors Apple's been employing since the 5. The white 5C looks great to my eyes, has the best size screen and may well be the last plastic iPhone for the time being. I think I'm going to jump - I won't be able to afford any of what Apple will announce in September at any rate!

8. McScooby macrumors 6502a

I'd probably also factor in (aside from the 4G chip) you're getting a 2 year old phone as it is a rebadged 5.

9. tjkwood thread starter macrumors newbie

That's my main concern I guess, but the specs are still very good and the Lightening connector means it's not obsolete by design... my betting is it'll be in a better way in two years than the Moto G... thoughts?

10. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

If you have a great deal on an unlocked phone, that's one thing. But, locking yourself into a contract on a two-year old internal design is quite another.

The price is good, but you're joined with the device for the duration of the contract. If you later find the 5c underwhelming as well, you've got at least 24 pages on the calendar to cross off first. And indeed, Apple will likely stop supporting the 5c before the contract expires.

At least with an unlocked 5c, you have the option of recouping much of the sale price by selling or trading the device at any time. I would venture to guess that you'll still find some good deals for the 5c after the iPhone 6 rolls out.

At this juncture, Apple is phasing in 64-bit processors across the board (I can see Apple's entire iOS lineup 64-bit by next September). So, in addition to Apple stopping iOS updates for the 5c in less than two years, you also have the eventuality of app developers moving over to 64-bit apps and cutting off support for 32-bit devices. In past cycles, app developers will generally support one or two versions prior to the current iOS. But, the obsolescence cycle is a bit more complicated with the ongoing 64-bit transition. By iOS 10, you will likely see iOS go entirely over to 64-bit, with app developers following suit not long thereafter.

11. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Agree with the folks above. It would be the equivalent to using an iPhone 4/4s today. If you're ok with that, then why not. I just wouldn't want to lock into a contract with a device that is basically a year old already.

12. tjkwood thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'm happy with that - it'll be a huge upgrade in any case!

13. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I've owned many different phones, both Android and iOS (HTC Inc, Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c, Galaxy Nexus, etc.) and I am currently using an iPhone 5c I bought off contract to replace my 4s and GSIII I was using and it has been the best phone I have owned by far!

Yes, it's an iPhone 5 in a plastic shell. But the iPhone 5 is a great phone, so there is nothing wrong with that. It's plenty fast, and you'll love LTE. In real world performance, I haven't noticed much of a difference between it and the 5s, other than the feature differences (Touch ID/Camera).

I'd say go for it! I've been using the iOS 8 betas, and it will be perfectly acceptable when it rolls around too, and I'd expect iOS 9 would be similar. The A6 is still a good chip, with the A5 hanging around from 2011 and iOS 4.3 all the way to iOS 8 so far, I'd say you're probably going to be alright for a couple years anyway.

14. Robster3 macrumors 68000

In Australia you can only get that sort of deal on a BYO month to month contract. No phone. I would take it, here our contracts are with our sims, we are free to sell, give away or do whatever with the phone. My contract is with a M8 which i sold then bought a S5, sold it and bought a 5S. So i could sell the 5C when IP6 comes if i like it.

Not much help as you are in UK. Good deal though:)

15. g35 macrumors 6502a

Op's deal is only £107 more - with a phone and 2 years service - than the outright cost of a 5C without any plan. Wouldn't make sense to buy it off contract at that price.

16. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

It's the same here the contract is with the SIM, he could sell the phone the same day he got it if he wanted too.

17. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

While (I hope) that may technically be true, given the history of how iPhones deal with 2nd or 3rd generation OS upgrade, I am not sure how much you would like to have that 5c running on iOS 10. There will certainly be a few highlight features missing and it will certainly not perform as snappy as your phone is today.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The same will be said about the 5S trying to run iOS 8.

19. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I wouldn't say that. The 5s has a year on the 5c. If the 5c runs ios 8 fine why would the 5s struggle? Or have I missed the point?

20. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

As another poster has alluded the 5s is a year ahead of the 5. iOS 8 will be its first iOS generation upgrade. How the 5s handles iOS 9 or 10 is not very promising.

21. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Umm... What?? The iPhone 5s is the current flagship ... It will handle iOS 8 like a champ.

9 and 10 is a different story

22. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It might handle it but it will not be pretty!:apple: