Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falsner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Hello guys,

I have been experiencing painfully slow Internet on my iMac for some time now. It takes forever to load a random page, and it is impossible to load a youtube video.

The thing is that I have a macbook air that works just fine on the same internet connection, so I find it difficult to blame the Internet for this.

Making this whole thing even more complicated or weird, is that when I use my iPhone 5 as Wi-Fi the connection on my iMac is perfect.

I have tried switching channels, use name bench, entered 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 in DNS, but nothing seems to work.

My iMac is from medio 2010. Generally the iMac is fairly slow and the hard disk keeps making a click noise. (I don't know if this could have anything to do with topic).

Have any of you experienced the same problem and/or do you have some sweet tips that could resolve my problem?

Cheers guys

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
My iMac is from medio 2010. Generally the iMac is fairly slow and the hard disk keeps making a click noise. (I don't know if this could have anything to do with topic).

How much space is left on your hard drive?

A 2010 iMac should not be "fairly slow" and the hard drive should not be making "a click noise." If you haven't already done so, you should immediately back up anything you can't afford to lose on that hard drive.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
How much space is left on your hard drive?

A 2010 iMac should not be "fairly slow" and the hard drive should not be making "a click noise." If you haven't already done so, you should immediately back up anything you can't afford to lose on that hard drive.

+1 this recommendation is spot on. I've had similar experiences of slow down before a hard drive failure, and if you are hearing clicking noises thats even more alarming. Backup now!

Maybe you should try a tool like SMARTreporter to check the status of the drive, but your #1 priority should be backup if you don't already have one.

http://www.corecode.at/smartreporter/

coldsweat

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Grimsby, UK
The 'click' sounds worrying.

But if thats unrelated to your slow internet you could try deleting the safari cache folder (com.apple.Safari) located in.... user/Library/Caches/ Simply delete the whole 'com.apple.Safari' folder.

Good luck

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Hello guys,

I have been experiencing painfully slow Internet on my iMac for some time now. It takes forever to load a random page, and it is impossible to load a youtube video.

The thing is that I have a macbook air that works just fine on the same internet connection, so I find it difficult to blame the Internet for this.

Making this whole thing even more complicated or weird, is that when I use my iPhone 5 as Wi-Fi the connection on my iMac is perfect.

I have tried switching channels, use name bench, entered 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 in DNS, but nothing seems to work.

Have any of you experienced the same problem and/or do you have some sweet tips that could resolve my problem?

Cheers guys

If you are using safari try another browser, like firefox. Also make sure you do not have a lot of tabs open when you use safari.

If firefox is not the problem close all your tabs in safari and open something fast like google. If that goes fast check your pages one at a time ... one may have a memory leak or such.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Hello guys,

Cheers guys

It has nothing to do with your hard drive (altho if its clicking you could have a whole separate issue)...its an issue with OSX...my 2012 iMac is getting such slow internet speeds its quicker to use my iPhone even in Edge network.Its awful...I have this great new fast iMac and it cant even load web pages at a decent speed. I've cleared every cache imaginable...nothing

It was the exact same on my 2009 i7 iMac...dog slow...

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Oh, if you are using wifi try plugging it in via ethernet to see if that helps. Wifi works differently than an ethernet network and antennas vary widely in quality. I get an email every few days that my spouse can get on with one computer but not with another.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
I had this prob with a new iMac, fixed by deleting and reinstalling Firefox.

Don't know how it fixed it but it did. Before I did, ALL the browsers I tried were dead slow.

Max Garcia

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2015
I have the 27" IMAC 5K with a 1TB SDD drive, and my internet is just as slow.. frustrating that I've upgraded the thing to the max and it is that painfully slow. I will try removing firefox and re-installing it. Thanks for the tip. BTW, I also have Fusion installed and windows (within Fusion) runs flawlessly.. the internet included. annoying...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.