Painfully Slow internet on Macbook - iPhone on same network is fine though?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dhc, Jun 1, 2009.

1. dhc macrumors regular

Safari on my 2.16ghz c2d Macbook has ground to a halt all of a sudden. Takes around 30/40 seconds to change between pages on the Forums here, for example. I thought this might just be a Safari 4 bug, but having the same (in fact slightly worse) experience with firefox.

Odd thing is that my iPhone, on the same wirelss network is performing at normal (IE MUCH faster) speeds.

Running 10.5.7, no new apps, downloads or plug-ins, and I've reset safari & rebooted. Even repaired disk permissions. No improvement.

Helpful suggestions? Anyone?

2. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Are you wireless or wired?

If wireless, have you tried wired?

A lot of people suggest using different DNS servers, so try that

3. dhc thread starter macrumors regular

Wireless from an airport extreme (pre 'n').
    Just plugged in to type this post and things are much better. Odd that my wireless would suddenly start playing up though after years of flawless performance...

4. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I know that you said you tried with your iPhone, but can you try a different computer on WLAN?

Can you try your Mac on a different WLAN?

5. dhc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Chris.

Just hooked into a neighbours wireless network - marked improvement in load and response time (and speedtest.net reports HUGE benefits over my ISP, but I digress..). I wonder if there's interference on the channel somewhere..

My wife has taken her Mac to work with her, so I can't compare that this evening, so I think I'll reset my Airport and maybe try a different channel in the interim.

6. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Yeh, as you've said, give it a reboot and try a different channel. You are probably using 11 as that is the default, try something else.

If you want to see what others are using, use something like iStumbler to find a channel that isn't used.

If no joy there, try using different DNS servers. A lot of people on here have had a good result when using different DNS servers.