Painfully slow internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by demonicgman, Sep 2, 2008.

1. demonicgman macrumors newbie

So i have a new Mac laptop for college and the internet is soooooo slow. I am connected via Ethernet, and i've already set IPv6 to Off. I tired that DNS server thing where you enter 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2 etc. into the DNS server box in network preferences but that did nothing. It literally takes me 10 minutes to download a 56kb file. I am so confused as to why, usually the web pages will load at an average rate and then as i am on the internet for a longer time they start to load slower and slower, any ideas?

Specs:
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB memory
    160GB hard drive
    Double-layer SuperDrive

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Is this at home or school?

Does this work the same in Safari and Firefox? The DNS trick (AFAIK) is 2.2.2.1 and 2.2.2.2. I would also see if it may not just bee a memory problem or a modem problem.

TEG

3. demonicgman thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm at college right now, i'm going to try that DNS trick again cause im not sure if i just mistype it this time or what...thanks

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you are having this problem at school, it is likely just due to your idiot classmates hogging all the bandwidth.

TEG

5. dromad macrumors newbie

ashamed to reply from windows (bootcamp)

Sorry, no help for you, demonicgman, but just thought I'd join you.

i got an imac myself, 2.4 ghz, 3 gb ram.

And here I am using windows for my internet connection through bootcamp. It's flying, no bother, and I mean flying.
    It can take up to a minute sometimes when I use wether safari or firefox under leopard, and never less than 10 sec those days.
    Same router, same everything. tried wireless, tried ethernet, took off the ipv6, changed the dns servers.............

If it was a bit slower, I wouldn't mind, but it actually times out half the time.

If anyone has the slightest idea about what's causing this, that'd be so great.